Hornby R30319

ColinB

Has anyone bought this model? I am thinking of getting one to replace my old Airfix one that is terrible. I read somewhere that this latest version has some improvements and as I have about £30.00 of points off Hornby, I can get it quite cheap. The trouble is I don't want to buy it, if is bad as its predecessor (traction tyres etc). Trouble is it is a Railroad model so probably not that many sensible reviews out there. I know it is not DCC ready but I can sort that.

It's a same old, same old, product based on the Airfix GMR tooling, needs traction tyres to move a load. There simply isn't a good OO model of this class available if reliable performance  with no need for traction tyres is on your priority list. IMO.

Hornby have all sorts of superior more recently tooled tank engines if you want to chop in your points. I heartily commend their J50, L1 and the Oxford branded N7, and even the Airfix GMR tooling derived N2, All are models which perform very well.

It has a sprung rear axle, thank goodness. That was the main question I had about this model with the old railroad autotank having the fixed rear axle and running poorly. The 90's and 2000's Hornby 14xx models always sold quickly on Hattons. I'm glad Hornby are utilizing their tooling and putting more of these out there at a decent price.

Edited by GernBlanstonShow

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It's a same old, same old, product based on the Airfix GMR tooling, needs traction tyres to move a load. There simply isn't a good OO model of this class available if reliable performance  with no need for traction tyres is on your priority list. IMO.

Hornby have all sorts of superior more recently tooled tank engines if you want to chop in your points. I heartily commend their J50, L1 and the Oxford branded N7, and even the Airfix GMR tooling derived N2, All are models which perform very well.

Dapol provided  a new chassis for the model in 1995 selling it to Hornby the following year who tweaked that before releasing it in their range.