Magnets and Kirby Couplings

I have been trying to find the right combination of magnets for the Kirby type coupling.

On a test track I have replace sleepers with small magnets and using staples attached to coupling. Also larger magnets under the base board.

Another thing I tried was a magnet on the coupling repelled by the same magnets on and below the track.

To make things a little easier I plan to remove one hook from each wagon and the other end a staple or magnet.

I have added a chart of results. adding more magnets or longer ones increases the distance the hook is open while trailing but this is when the tension lock keeps the hook from lifting which is correct.

My problem is I would like to extend the distance the hook is open while pushing the wagon in front (Hook Leading) giving more time to stop and pull away while hook is up.

Can anyone help with how to extend the activation area of the magnets??

img20240210_15461533.jpg

Edited by TomCrewe
Swapped PDF for Jpeg

13 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

What with using Kadee on carriages, I use their magnets; both the permanent type between the rails, and electromagnet under the track types. These reliably operate the Brian Kirby mod, with both coupling hooks equipped with staples; in addition to what they are designed for.

The thing with me I am a tinkerer on a budget. I also don't want to swap all 75 wagons to varying Kadee American style couplings. (Unless all other options fail).

Also having to put visible magnets between tracks is not a solution either I may as well fit Peco mechanical uncouplers between rails (Which is an option if all other options fail).

But electro-magnets interesting! if a electro-magnet was 60mm long, would it attract the staple for the full 60mm both ways or act the same as the 60mm permanent magnet?

On 10/02/2024 at 15:42, TomCrewe said:

I have been trying to find the right combination of magnets for the Kirby type coupling.

On a test track I have replace sleepers with small magnets and using staples attached to coupling. Also larger magnets under the base board.

Another thing I tried was a magnet on the coupling repelled by the same magnets on and below the track.

To make things a little easier I plan to remove one hook from each wagon and the other end a staple or magnet.

I have added a chart of results. adding more magnets or longer ones increases the distance the hook is open while trailing but this is when the tension lock keeps the hook from lifting which is correct.

My problem is I would like to extend the distance the hook is open while pushing the wagon in front (Hook Leading) giving more time to stop and pull away while hook is up.

Can anyone help with how to extend the activation area of the magnets??

img20240210_15461533.jpg

With Kadee magnets, the poles are side to side. Most bar magnets are end to end. Some disc are top to bottom but also some are side to side. Be careful. 

magpttrns.gif

Edited by dasatcopthorne

On 11/02/2024 at 06:36, TomCrewe said:

But electro-magnets interesting! if a electro-magnet was 60mm long, would it attract the staple for the full 60mm both ways or act the same as the 60mm permanent magnet?

Here's the Kadee kit:

https://www.kadee.com/shop-by-category/uncouplers/ho-scale-uncouplers/309-ho-scale-under-the-ties-delayed-action-electric-uncoupler-kit

Effective length is about 40mm.

You can see from the design how the poles are across the track, N under one rail, S under the other; and if tinkering is what you want to do it's easy enough to copy Kadee's scheme and extend to 60mm length if that's what you need. All the best with it.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2024 at 06:36, TomCrewe said:

Also having to put visible magnets between tracks is not a solution either

Kadee also do an under-track magnet (#308), although it's very good at attracting steel tyred wheels.