Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Bob Fridd 1951-2024

Johnson044

Dear Gentlefolk

I am really sorry to have to pass on the sad news that Robert Fridd, Cardboard Wizard, painter and modelmaker of very great talent, blues musician, mentor and dear friend was "withdrawn with undue haste" at QEQM Hospital, Margate at 6am this morning.

John M

IMG-20230426-WA0000.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear this, I first met him in the old ERG shop on London Road Dover. 

He was always friendly and happy to pass on advice and encouragement .

RIP Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A late friend of mine in Australia, Dennis Pontin, built a model in O Gauge of Whitstable Harbour. He had 2 locos of the R Class, which were built by Bob Fridd.

Sorry, I don't know what happened to the layout or stock, but there is a reasonable size O Gauge group in Melbourne and surrounds, so I suspect something is still around.

• Like 1

On behalf of myself and my colleagues in the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society (SECSoc ) I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. Bob was a friend and painted many of our models to a superb standard.

Mike Kennedy

SECSoc Chairman

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Such sad news. I only got to meet Bob late last year when Johnson044 and I took him to the Uckfield Show. Bob was an absolute mine of information and anecdotes on all things railway, music and beyond; I really wish I had recorded our car journey. Alas Bob's firebox has gone cold but he has left a wonderful legacy to railway modelling. RIP Bob.

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear the sad news, he will be missed, first met him when he lived at Albion House Broadstairs in 1975 when he lined a footplate for a Wills Arthur,my first ever attempt at loco construction.

He also played at our wine bar in Folkestone and even sign wrote the fascia on the entrance .

He was a veritable mine of help and information which is now lost ..     

RIP Bob....

Edited by kgjp0
added info
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The chapel and balcony were full to standing room only this morning for Bob's funeral. A fitting tribute to a top bloke and a superb craftsman. He'll certainly be missed.

• Friendly/supportive 2