New Mills & District Railway Modellers February 24/25

Burnham-on-sea

We're having our 48th Show in Chapel-en-le-frith Leisure Centre, Long Lane, Chapel SK23 0TQ. See our website www.nmdrm.co.uk for lists of participants. Admission is £7, children under 16 free. Light refreshments are on offer, parking is free, and everything is on one level. Open 10am to 5pm on Saturday, finishing 4-30 Sunday. A good, friendly club exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

My fully scenic G scale layout will be making its first public appearance at the Chapel show. Cleaned the track yesterday.  Just needs lights in one of the buildings now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I’ve (obviously) got to go to my Dad’s funeral tomorrow, my G-scale ‘Hexen Schmalspur Bahn’ is in bits all over the house ready for loading on Friday.  Just hope I don’t get there and discover I’ve left something vital at home.

Back home (just round the corner from the venue!) and Burnham packed away. We had an excellent attendance both  days, especially Saturday morning. Thanks to all who came and for all the good comments we had. Now to finally sort Glenties for Preston next weekend and then odd jibs on both.

Hope to see you all next year! 

• RMweb Premium

A two hour drive home for me, not unloaded yet. A very enjoyable weekend and my layout ran well and seemed to be liked by many visitors.  I might even consider taking it out again.IMG_2610.jpeg.fc6bafc400080c2d6af6fa368a7ed9ef.jpeg

• Like 1

@Burnham-on-sea - Thank you to you and everyone else involved for putting on this lovely show. It was indeed a very friendly show! I heard club members expressing their pleasure at how busy it was for a Sunday. It looked like there was a good mix of enthusiasts and families, and I think it was a really good advert for the hobby!

It was my third show with my son, just turned two, since I had a bit of a hiatus from attending model railway exhibitions. It was our favourite so far, with a well balanced mix of layouts in scale and theme. The other two we have been to have been very diesel-heavy, even the 1960s layouts, so it was lovely to see a bit of everything.

The operator on Happy Valley was so friendly and kind, I was able to have a sit down in front of the layout whilst he picked out some of my son's favourite Thomas characters, Gordon being a particular highlight. The chaps on Seabury Town noticed his interest in their lovely O gauge Flying Scotsman and ensured it was pressed into service on the next train (I also really enjoyed all the moving cameos on this layout, especially the representation of a Gauge O guild layout!). Sandling was also great fun, with the operators giving us a closer look at their collection of terriers when they noticed our interest, whilst also operating a very intensive service with an intriguing fiddle yard/cassette technique.

@ColinK we really enjoyed your layout too! Always something going on and it was great fun watching your huge locos chasing after each other! It's a good job that the wall in the photo you have posted is low enough to allow the swing of your larger steam loco's running plate to pass over it!

I also appreciated Bampton in OO, representing something similar to what I would like to one day achieve. Smethurst was top quality and the TT and N gauge layouts were great fun. Sorry to not mention all the layouts but they were all very enjoyable.

We did a bit of trade with SMTF, picking up a Peco Bowsider and a Bachmann 4MT (75014, having enjoyed a ride behind the real thing last weekend at Cheddleton, it would have been rude not to buy it!). The 20% show discount made the prices very competitive.

Finally, the ladies on the front door were very cheerful and welcoming. My little one left with a few free goodies such as a colouring sheet and a Thomas book.

Thanks again, great show and we will look out for it again next year.

• Thanks 1