Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DCC Control Prodigy Advance 2 repair

rorz101uk

Hi all 

I hear that gaugemaster have stopped repairing their older DCC controllers, although my controller isn’t  broken, my booster has failed. It leave me a bit of a problem as I need the booster as my for my depot layout, there was no alternative given to me. Is this due to the new system that’s coming out? 

my next question is there anywhere that I could take my booster to get it repair, with cost ramping up in the sector, it getting/got very expensive 🤦🏻‍♂️

21 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

...Legislation for products to be able to be repaired...

I haven't looked at this in any detail for years, but am pretty confident that for the  private buyer the lowest price items covered  will be limited to what are expected to be 'durables': appliances like washing machines, heating boilers, fridge/freezer, cooker/oven; on the basis that these are necessities for a family. 

Hobby stuff = luxury item, you are on your own.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2024 at 12:09, rorz101uk said:

Hi all 

I hear that gaugemaster have stopped repairing their older DCC controllers, although my controller isn’t  broken, my booster has failed. It leave me a bit of a problem as I need the booster as my for my depot layout, there was no alternative given to me. Is this due to the new system that’s coming out? 

my next question is there anywhere that I could take my booster to get it repair, with cost ramping up in the sector, it getting/got very expensive 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hi there,

We had a simillar problem - not due to misuse, but to dropped and run over.

I found this one on Amazon

https://aax-eu.amazon.co.uk/x/c/RCbuwiEBe9fu_8JM0zYcpiYAAAGNyK3KpgMAAAH5AQBvbm9fdHhuX2JpZDEgICBvbm9fdHhuX2ltcDEgICD2IIia/http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CMXMS3J7/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pf_rd_p=103e3e54-ecb1-49c9-932a-155637d64f72&pf_rd_r=2V88DTYNN8FBX2AJ01FC&pd_rd_wg=eFyGd&pd_rd_w=k5Xi3&pd_rd_r=c263aff2-3ff4-47aa-980b-3f55de48f806&aref=PaT5KdsHsU

It''s worked for nearly 2 years without a problem.

Please note - other similar products are also available elsewhere!

Phil H

20 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Im assuming its out of warranty? 

Wont they even have it in for a paid repair?

Ive had nothing but great service before from gaugemaster so id be really suprised if they washed there hands of you

Yer it’s out of its warranty, had it before COVID 

15 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi there,

We had a simillar problem - not due to misuse, but to dropped and run over.

I found this one on Amazon

https://aax-eu.amazon.co.uk/x/c/RCbuwiEBe9fu_8JM0zYcpiYAAAGNyK3KpgMAAAH5AQBvbm9fdHhuX2JpZDEgICBvbm9fdHhuX2ltcDEgICD2IIia/http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CMXMS3J7/ref=syn_sd_onsite_desktop_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pf_rd_p=103e3e54-ecb1-49c9-932a-155637d64f72&pf_rd_r=2V88DTYNN8FBX2AJ01FC&pd_rd_wg=eFyGd&pd_rd_w=k5Xi3&pd_rd_r=c263aff2-3ff4-47aa-980b-3f55de48f806&aref=PaT5KdsHsU

It''s worked for nearly 2 years without a problem.

Please note - other similar products are also available elsewhere!

Phil H

It’s bring up a EV car charger? 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

It’s bring up a EV car charger? 

Strang - must be Amazon moving product codes about!

I Get

T-Power Ac Dc adapter for MRC Prodigy Advance 2 D.C.C. Railroad System 15v Replacement Switching Power Supply Cord Charger

Brand: T POWER

Try this link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER-adapter-Railroad-Replacement-Switching/dp/B0794CMNHK

Phil H

3 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Strang - must be Amazon moving product codes about!

I Get

T-Power Ac Dc adapter for MRC Prodigy Advance 2 D.C.C. Railroad System 15v Replacement Switching Power Supply Cord Charger

Brand: T POWER

Try this link...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER-adapter-Railroad-Replacement-Switching/dp/B0794CMNHK

Phil H

Thanks for that doesn’t tell you what Amps it is, I can see it 15V 👍🏻

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Thanks for that doesn’t tell you what Amps it is, I can see it 15V 👍🏻

When I bought mine it was showing as Max Amp rating 3A

Mine has powered 5 Sound fitted locos at the same time.

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

Right, the original booster was to give out 8 amps with the original base station, thanks for all your help, I’m sure it will help 👍🏻

Have a hunt on Amazon for DC power supplies until you find a powerful enough one

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=15v+10a+dc+power+supply&crid=2FK4QLDYEUVWM&sprefix=15v+10a%2Caps%2C110&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7

Check the plug is correct for the Prodigy.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it the OP’s primary power supply to the base station that has apparently failed, or a secondary booster? The normal supply is 3.5amp, the separate booster available 8amp. If it’s the latter then how do you know whether it’s the power brick or something else? Can’t understand Gaugemaster refusing to offer assistance when they are apparently still selling the system. I know they have their own new DCC systems in the pipeline but this is very poor customer service which is contrary to what has previously been the case. I wonder what’s going on. 

Bob

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

...Can’t understand Gaugemaster refusing to offer assistance when they are apparently still selling the system. I know they have their own new DCC systems in the pipeline but this is very poor customer service which is contrary to what has previously been the case. I wonder what’s going on. 

The message from Gaugemaster up thread makes it plain enough - no longer economic due to change in circumstances. 

Add this to another major retailer ceasing operation because future profitability looked unlikely, and it is clear that there is a cold wind blowing in some aspects of trade support for this hobby. Such things happen.

• RMweb Premium

I thought Gaugemaster controllers had a lifetime warranty? Or is that just their 'in house' design DC ones maybe?

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Definitely a lifetime warranty on their own brand DC controllers.

Careful reading of the applicable warranty for DCC kit seems to be in order.

Given they are advertised as Gaugemaster products and indeed  labelled on the product itself as Gaugemaster I'd say they're Gaugemaster controllers...

EDIT:

This page implies it applies to both DC and DCC:-

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/model-railways/gaugemaster/gaugemaster-controls-brand5.html

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The DCC items are bought in rebadged ones; the DC stuff is made by them onsite so they are in a position to repair the latter.

True enough, but not really relevant to the warranty situation.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

... not really relevant to the warranty situation.

17 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Yer it’s out of its warranty, had it before COVID 

Clearly, the OP has acknowledged that the item not working is out of warranty, which suggests that a very different scheme applies to DCC kit, as compared to the lifetime cover offered on their own brand DC controllers.

Notice the line that ends 'subject to the usual caveats' in the Gaugemaster advertising? This is the reason for my earlier posting:

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Careful reading of the applicable warranty for DCC kit seems to be in order.

The reply from Gaugemaster quoted above suggests to me that what was previously possible to support a customer has now unfortunately become uneconomic.