The return of the NYMR Diesel Gala!

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway's Diesel Gala is back! 

It will be held from June 14th to 16th.

Home fleet locos expected to be running then are:

Class 25 D7628 Sybilla

Class 31 31128 Charybdis

Class 31 31466

Class 37 37264

Class 47 47077 North Star

No guest locos have been announced yet but there's a few things happening which I can't say at this time (being kept quiet for now).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Boris said:

They're making the guy who has pretty much kept the diesels going for 30 odd years redundant, good luck with that.

We're already on talks with the owners of, hopefully, 2 guest locos. I can't say anything at the moment but think they're a brilliant choice.

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

We're already on talks with the owners of, hopefully, 2 guest locos. I can't say anything at the moment but think they're a brilliant choice.

You're not going to persuade me to go, the way that place has treated its volunteers and now its paid staff in the past 12 months has been absolutely disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Boris said:

You're not going to persuade me to go, the way that place has treated its volunteers and now its paid staff in the past 12 months has been absolutely disgusting.

Agree. What I have read and heard hasn’t inspired confidence. They (whose idea?) have also messed up what was an informative Moorsline members journal into a glossy waste of paper. I have to say they as I have no knowledge of where the idea for the change came from but as a member since the 1970s* it is a retrograde change.

* now a life member.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boris said:

I wasn't trying to.

As a volunteer. I think I'm actually being treated well: I haven't come across anyone who's been nasty to me yet. 

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I wasn't trying to.

As a volunteer. I think I'm actually being treated well: I haven't come across anyone who's been nasty to me yet. 

It'll come, 3 weeks ago a driver with 40 years experience said he wanted to take a break from the footplate for a bit for health reasons and the response was "in that case don't bother coming back".  Let's face it, the only reason the gala tickets are on sale now is because the place has such a massive wages bill they can't pay it anymore and they desperately want the cash.  Hell, the access bridge to Goathland has been declared structurally unsound and they can't afford to fix it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2024 at 16:51, Boris said:

To say nothing of the new Moors Line, which is basically a puff piece for the senior management team with next to no mention of anything but how brilliant they all are. Feels more like a sales brochure than the house journal of a heritage railway. First time ever in forty-five years that instead of adding a new Moors Line to my library I chucked it straight in the bin.

I am giving very serious thought to telling them to shove my life membership where the sun don't shine.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2024 at 20:40, Boris said:

It'll come, 3 weeks ago a driver with 40 years experience said he wanted to take a break from the footplate for a bit for health reasons and the response was "in that case don't bother coming back".  Let's face it, the only reason the gala tickets are on sale now is because the place has such a massive wages bill they can't pay it anymore and they desperately want the cash.  Hell, the access bridge to Goathland has been declared structurally unsound and they can't afford to fix it.

And despite being skint they're still advertising something like a dozen paid jobs including one for a 'Marketing Campaigns Manager' paying up to £35k. Sod 'em.

On 17/02/2024 at 01:16, 25901 said:

Been once, the loco I have a share in has been once.

Both will never return.

It's the ultimate us and them railway

From what I read "us" are diminishing quickly and "them" are increasing every week. If they are making the main diesel man redundant I fear for the future health of the home fleet.

The report of the long serving driver seems strange, all he would have to do would be to volunteer on fewer days.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rumours that the railway are getting a set of Mk2 air cons. Partly for the gala for air braked locos, and partly to cover the shortfall in stock with the withdrawal of the teaks. Though surely buying a few sets of tyres for the teaks will cost less than buying a set of grotty Mk2s that haven't turned a wheel for 5 years?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, 5944 said:

Rumours that the railway are getting a set of Mk2 air cons. Partly for the gala for air braked locos, and partly to cover the shortfall in stock with the withdrawal of the teaks. Though surely buying a few sets of tyres for the teaks will cost less than buying a set of grotty Mk2s that haven't turned a wheel for 5 years?

Penny to a pound they'll be arguing with the LNERCA over who has to pay for the tyres, and if its the NYMR that'll take years because  they are financially screwed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Boris said:

Penny to a pound they'll be arguing with the LNERCA over who has to pay for the tyres, and if its the NYMR that'll take years because  they are financially screwed.

Yet not screwed enough to try and buy a set of grotty Mk2 air cons though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 5944 said:

Are they buying the MK2s or leasing them though,?

49 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Are they buying the MK2s or leasing them though,?

I reckon leasing, there is no way they have the cash to buy more stuff.  If they had any sense they would be hired in for the peak season timetable when they need 4 sets rather than all year.