Peterborough North

great northern

On 16/05/2023 at 11:11, great northern said:

It was indeed, hence my change of emphasis from WDs to 9Fs. Theoretically, a 9F could do a round trip from New England to Ferme Park in under 8 hours. I say in theory, because practice then was to prioritise passenger trains, so they would still have spent considerable amounts of time waiting in loops, or queuing to get into New England coal roads.

Line occupation by coal trains delaying passenger trains between New England  and Ferme Park had been a problem for years.  There was an interesting article in Trains Illustrated Annual many years ago about how Gresley tried to solve the problem by having fewer but heavier trains of 100 wagons loaded to 1600 tons, for which Gresley designed his P1 class 2-8-2’s, the most powerful steam engines built in Britain with a tractive effort of 42,000. lbs. They also had a booster powering the rear trailing axle, driven by a small auxiliary steam engine fed by the boiler, which the driver could activate  when starting or travelling uphill. The booster could add another 8000lbs to the tractive effort.  
Unbelievably, nobody thought to check whether all  the loops could actually hold 100 wagon trains, but some of them couldn’t so they still finished up occasionally holding up expresses until they found a loop long enough. They were also heavy on coal and hard work for the fireman even without the booster activated and apparently became a firing job to avoid. The boosters were removed after a few years and the two P1’s were scrapped in about 1945 after about 20 years or so service. The boilers were transferred to Pacific’s.

I mention this basically failed experiment because it puts in perspective the brilliance of the 9f’s.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, great northern said:

One more look at that V2.

88294.JPG.e22f0a9ee61bf23e6c326d3b62cbceb5.JPG

Still not convinced by blue skies. 

I think the issue is with the contrast between the lighting on the layout and the sky. The clear sky indicates there should be direct sunlight, but the model doesn't reflect that. An overcast sky would suit that image better. A photo with brighter lighting would suit a blue sky.

The photos of D209 work much better with the blue sky -- there's defined shadows and light on the side of the locos.

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Time to reveal goodies.

As always, wonderfully weathered locomotives. My favourite being picture one of Diamond Jubilee. Just first class and I agree Gilbert, Timara's work transforms the flat surface that most proprietary locomotives are finished in.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2023 at 09:04, great northern said:

Happy Knight doesn't seem to have been a very well liked engine, as it moved shed about 15 times during its short life, including a very short stay at Annesley. New England kept getting rid of it, but it kept coming back. In June 58 it was sent to KX, where it was promptly put into Top Shed condition, probably for the only time in its life, apart from the first few weeks ex plant. It was even used on a few of the top expresses, but KX got rid of it quickly too.

85332.JPG.1d0a35156fc44de75a978f07a440db8d.JPG

105334.JPG.4559289ae94acf687b6449cdef96b904.JPG

I have read somewhere that New England crews regarded 60533 as on a par with the A.2/2's but inferior to the Thompson A.2/3's. York men I have talked to said much the same about 60526, although opinions could vary widely even from the same shed.

Food for thought anyway.

Ray.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I have read somewhere that New England crews regarded 60533 as on a par with the A.2/2's but inferior to the Thompson A.2/3's. York men I have talked to said much the same about 60526, although opinions could vary widely even from the same shed.

Food for thought anyway.

Ray.

On a par with the A2/2s doesn't say much for it. Their annual mileage was awful, and they seem to have spent most of their time on the slow trains to and from Kings Cross.

533 seems odd though, in that it changed shed 13 times in its life of 14 years. No other member of the class moved more than 6 times. New England had it from new for a month, sent it to Copley Hill, got it back seven months later, but returned it three months after that. It came back just one month later! It then spent four years at New England, by far the longest it stayed at any shed. Then it was off to Grantham for two years, back to New England for nine months, Grantham again for nine months, then Kings Cross got it, but only for six, when it was returned to Grantham. Six months later back to New England, but just seven months later they got rid of it to Doncaster. It managed to remain there for two years and nine months, but I've seen quite a lot of photos of it on Doncaster-Leeds slows during that time. Then back to New England one more time, but only for nine more months, when it was withdrawn in the mass cull of June 1963.

From what I've read, sheds had their "good uns" and did all they could to keep hold of them, but that certainly didn't happen with 533. Strange really, considering it was a double chimney engine, and they were considered to be much better than the single chimney ones. The history does suggest though that sheds were more inclined to get rid of it as soon as possible.  But in all classes there seem to have been some that were extremely good, some average, and the occasional black sheep, so one can't tar a whole class with the same brush.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, Timara said:

With my stock of numbers now at a premium, anything I can save changing is very much appreciated!

Timara,

Might I suggest you look at Fox transfers numbering as a substitute for the HMRS? I have been using them for some years now since the HMRS Pressfix items became unavailable.

They are waterslide with absolutely minimum carrier film and come in a variety of sizes, also cream which matches Hornby rtr numbering very well, and the correct off-white shade which suits Bachmann partial renumbering.

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/prototype-10-inch-steam-cabside-numbering-58503

Here is an example as applied to a Hornby A2/3 repaint.

DSCN0475(2).JPG.f1a4ba1513b4509d6b3f528f7a6168b0.JPG

And a partial renumbering of a new Bachmann V2

DSCN0446(2).JPG.bf25b7c27a27096056ba4a69859beddb.JPG

The crests and lining are also by Fox on the A2/3.

No connection other than as a very satisfied customer!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2