Z21 and Z21 Switch Decoder 10836 Program Help

Daxer

Help! I have a Z21 with 4 new 10836's, using them ONLY to switch MTB MP5's and MP1's. I know the programming should be simple but the instructions are SOO confusing!

I understand simple POM programming via the app, but what are the correct settings I should be using for the MP1's and MP5's?

Thanks in advance!

According to the manual page  (Z21 switch DECODER Manual (DE, EN, FR)) you will need to set CV#41-48 = 4.

You also need to decide whether you want the addressing as per Roco (DCC+4) or RCN-213 (DCC). This is set in CV#39 with CV#39=0 for Roco addressing and CV#39=1 for RCN-213 addressing. I suggest you check the Z21 to see what addressing scheme you have set within it and adopt the same one.

The manual is actually quite helpful but skip through the first sections and start following at section 6.  Before you do anything else you need to set the addresses using the program button mode 1 (and mode 2 if you want outputs 5-8 in a different sequence) . Once you've done that you can move on to the POM method of programming CVs to set up how each output operates using CVs 41-48 as Iain has described above.  It's all quite straightforward if you follow the instructions. 

• 1 month later...

Hi again.... thanks for the replies. Finally gotten around to wiring these in and have been successful in switching the MP1's and MP5's via the Z21 app and 10836's, however the Aux outputs on the MP1's and 5's have no power on them and I can't use them to power the switches. And as a consequence am unable to switch the polarity for the frog. Followed the wiring diagrams for the MP1's and 5's, but cannot measure any volts on the Aux outputs OR on the Inputs, yet they are switching.

I've gone thru the 10836 manual again a few times and cannot see how this could be affecting it, I'm truly stumped. Any thoughts? Thanks again...

The auxiliary switches are completely isolated from everything and you will not ‘see’ any voltage on them. Like any other switch you need to connect them to something for them to switch whatever it is on or off.

To switch or change a frog take the left rail to one side of the switch and the right to the other and use the common output to the frog. This will then change the frog with the movement of the blades. If you get a short then you change the left and right outputs over.