Loksound 3.0 sound decoders

McGomez

The title says it all really.

I have a couple of these that have been removed from a couple of Spanish diesels and was wondering if the v3.0 can be reblown or is it only possible with v3.5?

Yes they can. they may not have as much memory available but I do know howes (and most probably South West Digital) can reblow their sounds onto the decoders, sometimes with fewer effects than the later versions.

• RMweb Gold

heres a reply from brayn at howes regards the 3.0 decoders....

Loksound 3 decoders have just over 1 minute of sound memory. they can be firmware upgraded to the V3.5 platform albeit with the same 1 minute memory, however many of the new sound programs on V3.5 decoders are written take advantage of the 2 minutes of memory made available after the V3.5 was released.

There are still several programs that will fit on to a 1 minute decoder, in fact most steam projects will fit as they dont require such lengthy sound files as Diesels and Electrics do.

By request I have, where possible, reworked some of the Howes decoder sounds to allow those with earlier 1 minute decoders to have them reblown with latest projects, in order to squeeze the project on it has meant losing some of the sound functons as SR man has mentioned, but the loco runs and sounds as per the 2 minute version, but may only have the horns as functions. I also upgrade any v3.0 decoder with the V3.5 firmware before I reblow it.

I am sure that the other UK sound decoder suppliers provide the same service on request so it is a matter for Andy and any one else in the same situation to choose whose sounds he/they want and ask if they are available. I can provide 1 minute versions the 08,20,25,31, 37/4, 40, 150/5/6 and a couple others I cant recall at the moment plus all the Howes Steam projects.

Several people have recently sent in decoders to Howes for reblowing who were unaware they were only 1 minute versions, only to find they were resricted on what could be put on them,

An easy visible guide for people is the 1 minute v3.0 8 pin decoder has thick wires as opposed to the much thinner wires used on the V3.5 decoders.

Hope this helps those who have 1 minute decoders they want to press back into service or upgrade.

Big Jim. Many thanks for getting the info "staight from the horses mouth".

I´ll be getting in touch with howes by the sound of it.

Unfortunately my loco fleet doesn´t include any steam locos so it looks like i´ll have to do with out the horn sounds maybe.

I have a Loksound v3,5 decoder that came out of a Spanish electric and is currently installed in a class 56 (just for a laugh - although I´m the only one who understands the joke) that is also due for a re-blow.

Now to decide which locos to get done.

• 6 months later...

I finally got my Loksound V3.0s off to Howes for a re-blow so I thought I´d put them on this thread, rather than the DCC Sound Video thread.

I´ve never tried to put a link to You Tube on here before so keep your fingers crossed.

First up is the class 40.

As there is not much space within the body, I used a standard 23mm round speaker stuck on top of a bluetac doughnut at the opposite end to the scavenger fan.

My link

Second is the class 60.

I removed the plastic fan assembly that sits above the see through mesh grills and placed a Locklound 40 x 22mm rectangular speaker facing downwards.

My link

Third up is my class 153.

This is fitted a DCC Supplies 40 x 20mm bass enhanced speaker between the underframe.

My link

Once again, thanks to Big Jim for forwarding the reply from Bryan at Howes.

I also got one reblown with the refurbished class 37 sounds but I can´t remove the body of my 37410 "Aluminium 100" for some unknown reason? I have removed all but one of the screws, and that is loose but the damn body lifts up about 10 mmm but won´t budge. It is a bit of a pain as it is the only 8 pin class 37 I have so I am going to have to persevere.

Try pulling the body of that 37 at the same time as turning the screw. Sometimes the thread strips so it just turns until you create that extra tension on it by pulling..

Nice videos and the layout looks very interesting. Bryan is always very helpful and great to deal with.

BTW, you can embed the videos by placing "media" tags around the URL.

SRman

Thanks for the help and comments.

The 37 is now a complete mystery as the one remaining screw has disappeared but the body still stays put. I did presume that the thread had stripped but now I´m going to have to put a bit of brute force into it!

With regards the layout, I have been meaning to start a thread on it but just haven’t found the time. I don’t have internet at home (otherwise I´d never get to play trains or get any modelling done) and usually spend my lunch break at work reading up on here

I didn’t actually speak with Bryan at Howes. It was only via Big Jim. I dropped the 4 decoders off at the Warley show and got them back a couple of weeks later.

I was trying to embed the videos and after reading the thread in the help section, thought I’d cracked it, but no.

When you click on the icon just to the right of the smiley, do you still have to put the square brackets round the URL that you paste into the dialogue box?

I’ll try again with one of my class 47 sound videos next, over on the DCC sound video thread.

Regards Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to get the body off my class 37. (Only after knocking one of the windscreens and 2 engine room windows out and worst of all the nose assembly falling off too - Luckily all were glued back on without anymore problems)

I installed a DCC Supplies base enhanced 40 x 20mm speaker in the tanks and a standard 23 mm on top of the chassis within a Bluetac doughnut.

post-7244-0-15644300-1297621895_thumb.jpg

As it is a re-blown Loksound V3,0 chip it only has 4 functions, 3 horn sounds and flange squeel apart from the engine sounds.

Once again, I´m very pleased with the result.

See video here.

Archived