Which Gauge of Wire

Following the usual superb advice from experienced forum members I created a wired points system from a Guagemater Controller accessory section at 16V AC (the rest of my layout is DCC but I did not want the expense of decoders in every point motor).  Because the layout is reasonable sizeable at 12' x 14.5' I followed advice and used a heavier gauge wire from my Seep PM1 Points to the on off on toggle switches pin the layout board diagram I created to house the switches - this was 24.02 gauge wire .  And everything has worked out fine after learning the critical need to slacken off the PM1s slightly and to use a CDU to give the extra oomph needed to power the points .

However I want to tidy up the wiring behind the board and my question is do I need a wire (I use red) as heavy as 24/0.2 connected to the CDU and the central section of each on/off/on toggle switches given that we are talking about only short distances here.  Of course the outer connections of each Seep connecting to the board do use this wire as I have stated.  Certainly a thinner wire would allow me to neaten things up.

I must confess to be very much an electrical ignoramus and have usual gotten things right through the kindness of forum members.  Any advice would be most graciously welcomed.

William

Hi

The same current will flow from the output terminals of the CDU to the operating switch(es) as flows from a switch that is On to the Seep motor. So I would keep with the larger wire size. Of course distance between CDU and switch(es) if short may mean you could get away with a smaller wire size of say 16/0.2mm, but as you obviously have the larger size then use it throughout.  Note; the input from the 16v AC power source to the CDU doesn't need to be that large, here 16/0.2mm would be fine if you have any, otherwise use what you have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2