Compact Counterweight

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker!

I've rigged up the Faller hot air balloon on a pulley system across the top of my layout. I'm pretty pleased with it, it's controlled by an Arduino and relay system so it moves backwards and forwards. At one end is the motor and at the other is a counterweight... at the moment this is a big old G-Clamp (the only thing I had handy) which is ugly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use / wher eI could acquire a compact and neat looking weight? Approx 500g to 750g...

Thanks!

Monkie

• RMweb Gold

Or you could use another Faller balloon, as a perfectly balanced counterweight.  One often sees several hot air balloons aloft together even if there is not a particular event in progress, as balloonists take advantage of calm and predictable conditions, and light winds.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Or you could use another Faller balloon, as a perfectly balanced counterweight.  One often sees several hot air balloons aloft together even if there is not a particular event in progress, as balloonists take advantage of calm and predictable conditions, and light winds.

To quote Douglas Adams:

The two philosophers gaped at him.

“Bloody hell,” said Majikthise, “now that is what I call thinking. Here, Vroomfondel, why do we never think of things like that?”

“Dunno,” said Vroomfondel in an awed whisper; “think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise.”

• Like 1