RMweb

Tips for motoring a mk3?

As you can see from the photos I am in the process of converting a mk3 to Gatwick Express class 442.

While the rest of the consist will suffice with the original bogies, I need to motorise a vehicle for it to run by itself.

To do this, I have cut up a ringfield class 43 and used the motor bogie retaining plastic and attempted to glue it to the MK3. As pictured. The clips will be retained so that it fits into the body shell still.

However I've tried a few types of glue and they're not strong enough to hold the two parts together, putting the motor in is quite heavy and lifting the unit the undercarriage starts to sag.

Has anyone else got a better way of motoring a carriage like this? I don't have a 3d printer...

Thanks 

17085366788708710091413372563479.jpg

17085366295445465093662622974291.jpg

when I built my Class 310 out of Mk2s, using an HST bogie and frame, I glued the retaining frame to the bodywork instead of the chassis. After all, the bogie is removable, Just cut the chassis off 2/3rds of the way along 

36 minutes ago, Captain Slough said:

when I built my Class 310 out of Mk2s, using an HST bogie and frame, I glued the retaining frame to the bodywork instead of the chassis. After all, the bogie is removable, Just cut the chassis off 2/3rds of the way along 

Will try that, guessing you glued the rest of the undercarriage in as well ? Or found some way of connecting it to the motor part? Was planning on putting lights in, look forward to my soldering breaking and tearing the thing apart lol

mk2 has clips at the end and a screw fixing in the middle, relied on that, was never an issue - see my thread about it in "modelling BR blue era" subforum

you can see it in the first picture - motor bogie retaining frame isnt even connected to the chassis. 

Edited by Captain Slough

1 hour ago, Captain Slough said:

mk2 has clips at the end and a screw fixing in the middle, relied on that, was never an issue - see my thread about it in "modelling BR blue era" subforum

you can see it in the first picture - motor bogie retaining frame isnt even connected to the chassis. 

Ok thanks. Unfortunately due to the nature of the 442 resin cabs fitment, I had to cut off one end of the MK3 so it no longer has clips at one end.

I'll have to wire it up and then glue the whole thing in I think.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to suggest as much. Fewer windows too. 

As an aside it looks like you’ve added the cab onto the end of the mk3 - it needs shortening really. Always good to see more 442s!

18 hours ago, eatus-maximus said:

I would have thought the MLBS would have been the better coach to motorise, given the underframe is entirely different anyway.

Yes bit of a sloppy job on my part but as I plan to add headlights etc I thought it best to just motorised one end that's going to be made from salvaged hst parts anyway.

Middle coach will be interesting indeed as It will need more cosmetic work , whereas with the rest of it I'm just repsraying and repeat 

Not in any way wanting to rain on your parade, would it be better to restart with the correct length coaches?  It looks like you are using the original Hornby shorty's that are a scale 57' long, rather 75' ( though I believe the 442 vehicles are 74' long)

• Agree 1