Last southbound March-Cambridge passenger train

I’ve seen them Stuart and I know the number of the one going north, but I’ve just found a photo of the southbound train at Wimblington and am trying to work out the number. Interestingly there is a blue/grey coach.in the train. I hadn’t realised that this livery had made it on to the loop line.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

The last southbound passenger train on the March-Camrige loop carried headcode 5L53

Passenger or empty stock? The class 5 headcode would suggest ECS

Andi

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Didn’t the line reopen in one direction just after closing?

How did that work? Did the trains simply run through to Cambridge via St Ives? 
The photos I found were dated 1968 which I thought was a mistake, but a partial reopening could explain that

5 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Didn’t the line reopen in one direction just after closing?

Yes it did, St.Ives to March (Cambridge to St.Ives remained open for several more years for passenger traffic, of course). I have seen a (partial) signalling diagram but I have never seen a reason quoted although I have wondered whether it was as a result of the incident on the ECML where a signalman deliberately misworked the levers in his box in order to derail a train.

I think you will find the St.Ives-March section closed completely, leaving a passenger service from Cambridge to St,Ives only. This lasted until about 1970ish (can't remember without looking it up). Meanwhile there was sand traffic from near St.ives n which lasted a lot longer.

There may have been singling of the line onward to March on a temporary basis during demolition I believe.

• Like 1

Diverted ECML trains often came through March to Ely & Cambridge, rejoining the ECML at Hitchin. (And obviously in both up and down directions). I'm told there was a weight restriction somewhere on the loop (St.Ives bridges?) which barred them from the loop. 

However  - no internet then _ we were aware of diversions one weekend, and had spent the day spotting in Cambridge, with some timetable info we acquired somewhere. After teatime we left for home; my mate had to cycle back to Histon. He got stopped by the station LC gates being closed, and was astonished to see a Deltic on a diverted up train!

• Like 3