Track design for Engine Sheds and Inspection Pits

Hi all,

I need to build a GWR engine shed with inspection pits both inside and outside the shed.

The original part of the shed was built in 1908 so I'm assuming bullhead rail. 

An extension of two additional roads was added in 1943 - would this still be bullhead or would flat bottomed rail be more likely here?

For the bullhead rail pits, would the chairs be rotated round so the keys are more accessible?

Also what would be the typical chair to chair distance?

Many thanks

Will

There is a picture of an external ash-pit at Bordesley engine shed here. I can't see the arrangement of the rails at an ash-pit being that different to the rails at an inspection pit. The photo is undated though the accompanying article says the shed was modified when the Great Western Railway converted its northern routes to standard gauge if you are inclined to try and date the photo.

It is difficult to see what type of rail is used though I would suggest it's flat-bottom.

There is also a photo of Didcot Engine Shed here https://www.flickr.com/photos/105407643@N02/14561448317

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's some photos of ash and inspection pits at Didcot if they're any help:

Ash pit in front of the coal stage:

DSC01882.JPG.a1dbe3701d931d546e11b300858591aa.JPG

DSC01895.JPG.a0099bed9c530219c8ec4bbf5a69ff69.JPG

Inspection pit outside the engine shed:

DSC01900.JPG.26585d68d1187176a6fe719aa51a39bc.JPG

Inspection pit inside the engine shed:

DSC01910.JPG.2be1f94b3f3b67e842f4d6d47445beb8.JPG

The ones outside all have the chairs and keys fully accessible.

The one inside the shed looks as though the rails were laid as normal then concrete poured up to rail level? There don't appear to be any visible keys.

• Informative/Useful 2

Hmm, probably bridge rail inside, which is why no keys etc, the outside would be bullhead but where the pit areas are would be laid on longitudinal timbers (or concrete in the case of Didcot), using bridge chairs. From a model making point of view that is the route I would take. I think bridge rail is available from the Broad Gauge Society though.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

There's a chair visible (I think) directly above that white staining on the pit wall in the last photo. 

A chair yes, but no key on this side (to answer one of the OP’s questions).

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all who replied to this query.  I now feel I understand a lot more about inspection pit p-way.

The picture with the 66XX allowed me to judge 3.5 chairs between the middle and rear drivers (8ft) giving 2ft3" or 9mm between chairs.

I have also found some pictures of the actual depot pits allowing me to identify the components from the pictures and info posted here.

It all looks like bullhead rails with bridge rail chairs with the keys on the outside (like normal).  Looking at the C&L finescale website, I need the GWR 2 diagonal bolt L1 chairs - but I can't find anyone who does these on their own? Any ideas as I will need about 1,000 of them!

Thanks again

Will

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, WillCav said:

It all looks like bullhead rails with bridge rail chairs with the keys on the outside (like normal).  Looking at the C&L finescale website, I need the GWR 2 diagonal bolt L1 chairs - but I can't find anyone who does these on their own? Any ideas as I will need about 1,000 of them!

Exactoscale.

But you’ll need to be a member of either Scaleforum or the EM Gauge Society. Might be worth joining just for access to the shop if you’re not already a member.

I may well be wrong but I seem to remember reading that bridge chairs are always 4 bolt (even GWR). edit: They're square with two bolts in diagonally opposite corners.

Anyway, I believe Exactoscale only produce 4-bolt versions.

Edited by GWR57xx
I was right that I was wrong!