R30261 Hornby Mallard

deepfat

• RMweb Gold

Friends I have been an idiot and got careless with my dremel when removing the internals of my new tender to get a big speaker in there. My question is where can I get a replacement tender body, and be more careful this time. I was wondering if for this new model all they did was put a better connection in the tender to connect to the loco and so maybe I would have more options to get this replaced.

Thanks in advance

Deepfat

• RMweb Premium

Dublo models still have plastic tenders as far as I’m aware so any plastic body should be fine. R2338 was the first of the new super detailed mallards so anything after that code should be fine. Try eBay for some broken models

• RMweb Premium

Occaisionaly Hornby have altered the internal fixing method between their Gresley pacific tender tops and chassis during the super detail era, but the fundamental dimensions still work. I have managed to make little brackets from plasticard sometimes to match up different versions. All looks just right when back together. I don’t have the particular model you mention but I do have an LNER blue one made at the same time and can check the shade of blue compared to earlier ones for you if you like. I think it will be consistent.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

I checked the colour. I think you will be fine with any of the streamlined non corridor LNER blue tender tops you can find. The Garter blues look consistent to my eye. FYI I am comparing R2339 to R30262 (as I don’t have R30261).

• RMweb Premium

Checking this reminded me that the tender top from Great Snipe has the letters slightly higher than the other similar tender tops. It still may look better than a dremeled one though ! Good luck finding a spare. Those tenders or tops seem to come up reasonably often on eBay. I strongly suspect the actual R30261 top is very unlikely to be available yet, but the alternatives will look fine. 
Tom