Southernm Railway (or LSWR) Lamp hut

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone describe what a Soythern lamp hut (or an LSWR one) looked like or provide a drawing?

I have loads of pics of the corrugated GWR ones, but can't find anything on the southern.

I am assuming a LSWR one might have resembled a GWR one, maybe the southern just used the concrete toolshed that went with the concrete PW hut?

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Would have been a concrete product from Exmouth Junction. Earlier ones would have been rough wooden huts, but the concrete ones proliferated, so it would be easy to justify one, unless you're modelling a specific location which retained one of the earlier wooden ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Would have been a concrete product from Exmouth Junction. Earlier ones would have been rough wooden huts, but the concrete ones proliferated, so it would be easy to justify one, unless you're modelling a specific location which retained one of the earlier wooden ones.

you sure they would have been wooden? I thought that as the oil was a fire risk, they were made of non-combustible material.  Hence the GWR corrugated iron.

And what did the concrete ones look like? There is nothing specific in the Nouveau book. 

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Any use to you?

Huts at Groombridge Station - Spa Valley Railway - 24 9 2022.jpg

Signals & huts - Groombridge Station - Spa Valley Railway - 24 9 2022.jpg

Hi Phil, looks just like a GWR one. Maybe they were a commercial product straight off the shelf....

• Agree 1

SR one peeking into view at the left. I think this is an earlier design than the flat roofed hut at Groombridge, but ‘Southern Nouveau’ would tell for sure. It had a door in one end, facing the ‘box steps, I don't remember any widows, and iirc there was a bench down one side, and drum stand on the other, and a big sign on the outside of the door warning ‘no naked lights’,

IMG_0005.jpeg

An incidental thing I’ve just noticed is that there is a loco shed in this picture. I offer a prize of a photo of a five pound note to the first person to identify it.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i wondered if the tool shed was the same physical size and layout as the lamp hut. I have produced several of these on the 3d printer. It would seem logical for Exmouth to use the same design for both...???

• RMweb Gold

There was a rarer flat-roofed varient made up of 2x2 panels, the front right a door and in the wall opposite two windows (one each panel).  I can not find a photo at the moment, but I have a kit.  N.b., it is not the L.N.E.R. one (that came in at least two sizes).

• RMweb Gold

Bother, sorry, not the type I meant, but I saw this at Tunbridge Wells Central in 1983.  Perhaps this type could have been used.  Seemed a rarity to me at the time.

TunbridgeWellsCentral21983.jpg.118696824a6861f84a2823662d1219e4.jpg

Edited by C126
Correct year of photograph.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There were two of this design at Boscarne Junction, the one next to the signal box was definitely used for lamp oil etc. whilst this one was coal store.

Huts-1-15th_July_1964(3).jpg.7af99c7e0bf012bf363d1c3b257b0f04.jpg

I managed to get some nice 3D prints for my model of Boscarne Junction.  Can't remember the source now but I think this was probably it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203560177693

IMG_20210226_143848_1.jpg.c4b4b3d014bdfd3615f6ef611252083b.jpg

The chap I got them from also did me a half width one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

... there is a loco shed in this picture. I offer a prize of a photo of a five pound note to the first person to identify it.

Crowborough Brick & Tile had a small fleet of Lister narrow gauge locos here - later replaced by BEV battery machines ( details from Middleton Press ) .............. if you place the photo of the five pound note in a plain brown envelope behind the pipes in the usual cubicle in the Gents at Kings Cross, I'll pick it up later.

Half way there: where in the photo is the shed?

At the same time as the Listers, they also had a plate-frame MR, which I was always impressed by as a kid when we went fishing there, because it was a “convertible”, in that they used to unbolt and remove the cab when the weather was nice. They also had a habit of driving locos about off the track, especially the smaller of the later BEVs; if they wanted to take a short cut with a loco, they would nudge it to one side and set off across open ground.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

This drawing shows the standard pre-war SR station storage hut (and the sibling frogman's hut). I have details of the post-war lamp hut assembled from pre-cast segments somewhere and also of the warning notice for the door - I will post them when I get a chance.

SRConcreteHut.jpg.3e508de9e20dff668daa1d4308666697.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

There are examples of LSWR lamp huts on the Watercress Line at Ropley and Alton (ex-Itchen Abbas).  These are corrugated iron structures with arched roofs, not unlike the GWR type.  The hut at Ropley is seen in the photo below, which dates from 1922. Note the offset door.  

Medstead has a rendered lamp hut with a rearward-sloping corrugated iron roof, which dates from the 1920s.  This is definitely not a product of Exmouth Junction and I haven't seen another like it.

Image © Watercress Line Archives.

Keith

Alton.

RP003copy.jpg.ba20477404e8b8755a6156959be22d52.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45655 said:

There are examples of LSWR lamp huts on the Watercress Line at Ropley and Alton (ex-Itchen Abbas).  These are corrugated iron structures with arched roofs, not unlike the GWR type.  The hut at Ropley is seen in the photo below, which dates from 1922. Note the offset door.  

Medstead has a rendered lamp hut with a rearward-sloping corrugated iron roof, which dates from the 1920s.  This is definitely not a product of Exmouth Junction and I haven't seen another like it.

Image © Watercress Line Archives.

Keith

Alton.

RP003copy.jpg.ba20477404e8b8755a6156959be22d52.jpg

There is still a similar, if not the same hut on the the opposite platform at Ropley;

P1000058_s.JPG.fd0846e6c08e3632f389d236c9d2615c.JPG

complete with cast signs, Southern Railway versions are available on a set of etched signs from Light Railway Stores.

P1000051_s.JPG.d18bbaed31795c90643d57a36cb1e108.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s the one. It was moved to the opposite platform when the present signal box was installed some years ago. 

Keith

Alton. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to 'bump' this, but if someone could identify the purpose of the 'real' one of these, I would be grateful.  I thought this was the S.R. concrete Lamp Hut.

DSCN0615.JPG.fa7f6d59b8acf6b520069f951c14f739.JPG

DSCN0616.JPG.25dd174fad99fa979991e663c20fbe31.JPG

It is oblong, the blank sides longer than the front/back.  I think the kit was Roxey, but it is old.  Thanks for any info.

• RMweb Gold

The standard pw hut came with a toolshed that is similar to the one you show. But the ones I have seen do not have windows, so I'm not sure. 

The whole point of these prefabricated buildings was that parts were interchangeable and so all sorts of variations can occur. 

The only thing we can be certain of is that it's a storage shed of some sort.

• Thanks 1

The doorway of the tool shed was central in the end with a narrow panel either side and, as has been said, there were no windows. Lamp huts, of whatever design, always had a "SMOKING PROHIBITED" sign on the door and ventilation was provided, typically by replacing one window pane with perforated zinc sheet.

Although these prefabricated Exmouth Junction concrete designs were Southern Railway, possibly intended to reduce the amount of steel reinforcing used at a time of severe steel shortage, few, if any, actually appeared out and about prior to the 1948 nationalisation, so they shouldn't be used on any Southern Railway layout. The general station storage hut was the concrete building used as a lamp hut in prewar SR days, I have added a drawing below.

SRConcreteHut.jpg.2863612b4ae62be872f88c721a21fe09.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1