RMweb

Electric and layout question

• RMweb Gold

Hi

As i only have a 6x4 layout area i had come up with a plan loosely based on Crianlarich. But i am wondering if less is more, and have done a plan loosely based on Rannoch Moor. Not after doing a direct copy. Just wondering what peoples views are.

Also the layout will be DC. Now done a test and one set of droppers on the mainline is fine, but wondering if a second would help or make a difference at all.

Any views much appreciated.

6x4_Crianlarichadj3tunnel.jpg

6x4rannochy.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You’d certainly need a second & third power feed on the top plan, otherwise no power for the headshunts.

Also, depends on how many locos you are planning to control/drive simultaneously. (Although of course you’d need a second controller).

From a plan perspective, both plans imho look a little train set in character, which if modelling based on real locations may be a contradiction. Using flexi track and skewing track so it’s not parallel to baseboard edges and not so symmetrical would bring more realism.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, ITG said:

You’d certainly need a second & third power feed on the top plan, otherwise no power for the headshunts.

Also, depends on how many locos you are planning to control/drive simultaneously. (Although of course you’d need a second controller).

From a plan perspective, both plans imho look a little train set in character, which if modelling based on real locations may be a contradiction. Using flexi track and skewing track so it’s not parallel to baseboard edges and not so symmetrical would bring more realism.

Ian

Sorry, should have said i know i need a power feed on the headshunts but wondered if a extra power feed for the mainline on both plans would help at all. Obviously will only be running one train on the mainline at a time, so probably 2 feeds might be overkill.

I think realism is a compromise i have to make, but definitely skewing the plan would help, will have a play.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming insulfrog/isolating SetTrack frog points. You are going to need sections and probably a switch panel. The one that totally caught me out a few years back when I did a layout for my grandson was not putting isolating breaks into the passing loop where your station is. This one is essential if you have more than one locomotive on the layout. What I forgot is that power from a power feed connection goes both ways around the circle. You have a point, as that layout for my grandson has, in the loop. If you set the point to go into the siding your outside rail in that element of the loop is getting power right around the outside rail of the circuit so the self isolation by the siding point doesn't. Concurrently the inside rail power is coming through the curved point (you have set that route to be live) and therefore also runs through the rail of the siding point. Result the loop cannot isolate without an insulated gap/plastic fishplate. Ditto too for the sidings to isolate them from the loops.

Live frog points - you will need several isolation breaks therefore definitely associated droppers/feeds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, barney121e said:

Sorry, should have said i know i need a power feed on the headshunts but wondered if a extra power feed for the mainline on both plans would help at all. Obviously will only be running one train on the mainline at a time, so probably 2 feeds might be overkill.

Don't fall into the trap that less wiring is more! It is ALWAYS beneficial to be able to park locos and not have them run off, because of an obscure setting of points. Also a key part of a location, such as Crianlarich, is the ability to pass trains.

But it's your layout and Rule 1 applies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want truly reliable running, then don't rely on rail joiners for continuity.  I guess it's more difficult with setrack, but having a feed for each piece of track is the way to go.

• Agree 4