FNA nuclear flask wagon withdrawal dates

• RMweb Gold

As I'm building a highly compressed version of Sellafield railway system set between 2017 and 2020 and I was wondering when BNFL started withdrawing their FNA nuclear flask wagons, as per the Bachmann model and which went first, the flat floored or the sloped ended versions?  I already have several of the later numbered sloped ended vehicles but I'd like to get a few earlier flat floored examples if they still existed.

I know they were slowly withdrawn as the new FNA-D's started to arrive but did the older flat floored versions go first, or was it a case of when a individual FNA was due for a exam, it went?  It would be really helpful if anyone has the individual withdrawal dates so I can work out my fleet.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

A check through wagon groups has no active sighting of the BR-built (flat floor) FNAs after 2016, the last of the Procor build (sloped floor) went in 2019 and were scrapped during 2020.

Thank you Simon, can I ask, were all the slope floored FNA’s (as per the Bachmann model) built by Procor or another builder as well?  Sorry if I sound a bit vague but I have a very limited wagon knowledge.

Hi

The thing to be aware of is that the FNA fleet ownership was split between Magnox and EDF. I don't have access to the ownership list since I retired ( Bit of a bummer but I could hardly walk out the door with a lot of documents like that!) and the flat floor/slope floor wasn't part of the equation. The ownership was scattered through the fleet. We identified each individual wagon by its Lot and batch number rather than its floor as were more interested in the Air brake configuration ( Westinghouse, Davis and Metcalfe, Goods/Pass changeover lever etc) The vehicles were identified for disposal by their due dates for a GR  (general repair)

The last MAGNOX one allocated for scrapping left Sellafield in March 2016. Note it has a red stripe painted over the centreline. This was to allow it to still be used loaded on Sellafield site only. We had stopped it on TOPS to prevent it being marshalled on a main line train and going out of the gate. At this stage the FNA-Ds were still being delivered and I was still signing new ones off at W H Davis in November 2016

I'll see if I can get the disposal dates from my former colleagues and get back to you and I'll go into the EDF remainder over the next few days

Last scrap magnox FNA (3).JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Meant to mention. The last scrap Magnox FNA was 550023

I have a Bachman one and am seriously tempted to paint the Red stripe on it but to be honest the Bachmann is a bit long in the tooth and looks pretty poor when stood alongside Revolutions'  FNA-D

Maybe Revolution Ben and Mike might consider consider a new model of the FNA including the interim mods

Bachman 550023.jpg

550024 in natural Stainless steel finish.jpg

Edited by kevsmiththai
added pics
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Russ

The early ones were modified quite a bit as far as I know and to be honest I'm still working on some of the timeline as it was before I started working for DRS

It's your fault actually . I knew very little about DRS until you started bringing locos to Barrow Hill open days ( in the very early days) and suggested I applied for a job with them

The rest is history

Cheers Mate

see you soon

Kev

• Funny 1