Iowa Traction

Interesting stuff. 

Here is a screenshot of one of their facilities taken from Google maps. In N Gauge, the area between the 4 roads would fit on an 8 x 4 foot sheet. The line heading out the top of the photo serves a scrap metal facility. The overhead wires stop at the road crossing and the site also has a direct connection to CPR so lookslike not directly served by Iowa Traction whihc solves the issue of loading gondola cars under the wires.  

Link to the comnpany web-site here: https://www.progressiverail.com/rriatr/iatr.html

Regards 

Nick 

Iowa traction site Mason City.png

• Like 3

They were using a couple of flat cars as reach cars to retrieve gondolas from the unwired part of that scrapyard when I was last there in 2011......

11-1656.jpg.a9e4776aceb54502b0274573fa9bd09e.jpg

The train I "chased" along the roadside running section towards Mason City had 6 gondolas with scrap, but to get up the grade from where their HQ is, the locos could only handle 3 cars at a time. The train loco took 3, with a pusher loco propelling the other 3, the train being recoupled at the top of the grade........

11-1658.jpg.f1a6408303edfc0ac61486056566f101.jpg

11-1661.jpg.d5a02f387bbaa39b6d80a95fff1f4919.jpg

The train loco could then continue into Mason City on its own......

11-1667.jpg.626063fa5ee9e0846f82f7614d295ae0.jpg

Edited by Johann Marsbar
extra text added
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m sure Andy @298 has probably got more knowledge, he might even have modelled some of them sometime 😁

I'd like to one day, I had a couple of sets of decals that I passed on to @Supaned and still have a Suydam brass B (that you've just reminded me to produce some decals for Central Limones for it before I finish the next white decals sheet).

• Like 1