RMweb

Railmatch paint for MK1 BR coach roof

I have had to do a re-paint of a MK1 BR coach. Unfortunately, I have done the colors which are correct for the main body and window area. But as for the roof it is to light, have been sold the wrong shade of grey.

Can anyone advise on the correct shade for this coach error.

Have been told that RM2301 is the correct shade, but this is a blue/grey mix. Which I do not believe this is the correct shade.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, j_fixer said:

I have had to do a re-paint of a MK1 BR coach. Unfortunately, I have done the colors which are correct for the main body and window area. But as for the roof it is to light, have been sold the wrong shade of grey.

Can anyone advise on the correct shade for this coach error.

Have been told that RM2301 is the correct shade, but this is a blue/grey mix. Which I do not believe this is the correct shade.

Whatever colour a coach roof was painted, it soon became a mucky shade of grey - and that shade varied greatly between individual coaches.

So - if the coach had been recently painted, the roof would have been a relatively light shade; it would get darker as time progressed.

So - it matters very little what shade of grey you use.

CJI.

• Agree 3

Ex-works, BR Blue era coaching stock was a much darker shade of grey than used on the earlier maroon/green/carmine liveries. But for roofs I've never bothered with trying to get a 'special' colour, I just mix up a suitable shade. As @cctransuk says, they very quickly end up simply as 'grimy brownish grey'

• Agree 1

@Tony Wrightused Humbrol Matt 67 on his Mk1s in a BRM article some time ago.  

I followed that advice and have been very pleased with the results.  Further enhanced with different shades of Tamiya weathering powders.  I also followed his advice to reduce the roof ribs on the Bachmann model  Here's a photo to show improvements.  Thank you Tony!PICT0248.JPG.abb389bff70d522d498b09caa3446cf8.JPG

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Like 7

Thanks for your help, I have since found the correct rail match colour. Which is RM2310, which once paint I will be using weathering shades including powders. Then Matt varnish to lock the colour on.

The roof grey used on Blue/grey coaches more often than not fades rather than goes darker. Having worked on several coach roofs over the years the grey get very light after time due weather, wash plant etc.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1