New ESU / SWD sound files

two tone green

New section on the ESU website for sound files from SWD for steam locos. 34 in total at the moment. 

https://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/21?type=all&order=date&country=gb

Makes having a Lokprogrammer even more worthwhile. 

UPDATE, diesel files added as well. 

Edited by two tone green
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can anyone advise on the procedure on how to replace the sound file on a V5 decoder with one downloaded from the E.S.U. website?

Some of my decoders mhave very basic/generic sound files currently installed and I would like to replace them with those offered on the E.S.U. website but do not want to end up with a 'dead' decoder!!!!

26 minutes ago, Stuart G said:

Can anyone advise on the procedure on how to replace the sound file on a V5 decoder with one downloaded from the E.S.U. website?

Some of my decoders mhave very basic/generic sound files currently installed and I would like to replace them with those offered on the E.S.U. website but do not want to end up with a 'dead' decoder!!!!

put decoder/loco on programmer

Download the sound file you want

open Lokprogrammer software

click read decoder, so it imports the decoders current settings ect

open new sound file keeping current decoder settings

click write sound data, if needs be it will convert decoder type

wait

play

10 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

put decoder/loco on programmer

Download the sound file you want

open Lokprogrammer software

click read decoder, so it imports the decoders current settings ect

open new sound file keeping current decoder settings

click write sound data, if needs be it will convert decoder type

wait

play

You skipped out " Purchase  ESU LokProgrammer Hardware Device and connect to your Windows computer "  

Its probably cost-effective for anyone in a club to arrange for sharing one LokProgrammer around the club.  

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You skipped out " Purchase  ESU LokProgrammer Hardware Device and connect to your Windows computer "  

Its probably cost-effective for anyone in a club to arrange for sharing one LokProgrammer around the club.  

I skipped the blatantly obvious bit yes…

I've already purchased and using a LokProgrammer and found it very useful.

I also successfully downloaded & installed a 'new' Sound File (purchased from Wickness) onto the V5 decoder in a Class 42 loco., so I am confident about this side of the process. The Sound File is 'locked' to that specific decoder and cannot be used elsewhere.

My concern is that the decoders that I wish to update all have 'locked' Sound Files currently installed and I'm not sure what effect installing what (is in essence) an 'unlocked' Sound File would have on the decoder and if it is possible at all to install such a file.

I will attempt to install one of the files on one of my locked decoders and see what happens!!!!

22 minutes ago, Stuart G said:

I've already purchased and using a LokProgrammer and found it very useful.

I also successfully downloaded & installed a 'new' Sound File (purchased from Wickness) onto the V5 decoder in a Class 42 loco., so I am confident about this side of the process. The Sound File is 'locked' to that specific decoder and cannot be used elsewhere.

My concern is that the decoders that I wish to update all have 'locked' Sound Files currently installed and I'm not sure what effect installing what (is in essence) an 'unlocked' Sound File would have on the decoder and if it is possible at all to install such a file.

I will attempt to install one of the files on one of my locked decoders and see what happens!!!!

The "lock" is purely a tie between the file and the serial number of the decoder (each decoder has a unique serial number).     

If you still have a "locked" sound file stored on computer, you can only load it onto the specific serial-number of decoder. 

If you load a new sound file onto a decoder, it replaces an existing sound file (locked or unlocked, doesn't matter what was on the decoder previously).   

As the downloads from ESU's website are not locked, then anything installed is also not locked (unless you choose to modify a download file to make it "locked" as an experiment in how the locking mechanism works).  

Well, thanks to your help, I've managed to download a 'new' Sound File to one of my locos.

However, I now have another query!!

All the expected Sounds & Functions are present with the correct Sound Slots - BUT - I need to re-map some of the Sounds to the correct Function Buttons. The LokProgrammer Manual is not very clear on how to do this.

Yet again, can you advise, please??

Panic over, I've sussed how to re-map the sounds to the correct function keys.

At last, I have a couple of re-loaded decoders, now to trawl through the rest!

Thanks very much for all your assistance, much appreciated.

Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaput said:

The diesel files seem to be available now as well.

Yes the SWD diesel files have started to be uploaded to the ESU website. 
More excellent free files to use with the Lokprogrammer. 

• Agree 1