The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Modeling Cyprus railway.

Stray

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Cyprus railway stationimage.jpeg.757bf2e358a044fc81c6c6e877844704.jpeg

Railway station of Evrychou - museum (nowadays)

No my photo taken from the internet as is the following information.

Railway communication in Cyprus operated from October 1905 to December 1951, when it was closed due to its unprofitable, and lack of funds for its maintenance.

A 122 km long linear railway ran almost through the whole island, connecting the port of Famagusta and Troodos (the final station was in the village of Evrychou), passing through the capital of Cyprus, Nicosia, and many other places (39 stations in total). On weekdays the trains ran twice a day (in the mornings and in the evenings), on Sundays an additional train was introduced. The fuel used was coal, and all the way with all the stops and delays use to take about three hours.

The island had several non-state railway branches used for industrial purposes, in particular for transportation of minerals, as well as for archaeological works - existed until the end of the 70s.These mostly carried copper ore, some of the hillsides are green due to the ore.

Edited by Derek 19B
More infomation
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I stand corrected, I stumbled upon those track remains at Nea Paphos. I'd read that Cyprus doesn't have a working railway. Where abouts is that, and is it still in use?

• RMweb Premium

The Museum is north of Nicosia, all the railways closed as the copper ore was not worth the effort, there is a steam loco in the village , all narrow gauge.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Stray said:

Should be quite easy, this is all I can find. 20240311_140427.jpg.2b62fdf799cf6aedab4167da7e6bc22b.jpg

That would make an interesting model in 16mm scale, with care to represent each weed and stone correctly!

• Like 1

@ Derek 19b, just noticed your location,  we've been staying in Paphos for the last week, near the tombs of the King's. Thanks for the information. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, cornelius said:

There's a good book on the railway(s) in the Middleton Press branchline series

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/railways/narrow-gauge/cyprus-narrow-gauge.html

Roxey Mouldings has a selection of loco kits in 009

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/10/narrow-gauge-loco-kits/

So it is modelable!

Also, "The Story of the Cyprus Government Railway" (Turner).

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1