Thames Clyde Express post September 1964

mac1960

I’m building a 1964 -67 autumn layout and I’m trying to understand the train set for the Thames Clyde Express which was strengthened during the winter as the original Waverley was cancelled during the winter.

I haven’t been to quickly find the answer on line hence my question . 
Help appreciated.

Cheers

Mac

The Waverley effectively ran as a portion of the Thames - Clyde during the winter T/T.

In the last year of operation the set was formed BSK - SK - CK - BSK with the latter two coaches running through from St Pancras and the first pair attached at Carlisle. On TWFO a PMV worked through from Burton to Elgin as tail traffic, this was substituted by a GUV on MTHO.

In 1968 the service operated until 8th June and from 30th September, as the 17 00 ex-Carlisle. Due to the timings and subsequent encroaching dusk, photos of this working are generally confined to Carlisle, Stainton crossing and Newcastleton.  They show a dominance of high numbered Class 46s, Holbeck Class 45s and the occasional Brush Type 4 

Footnote:

Although I can't prove it at the moment, this probably meant the BSK and SK that shuttled between Carlisle and Edinburgh were SC prefixed vehicles and the other two were M. 

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 08:29, 'CHARD said:

In 1968 the service operated until 8th June and from 30th September, as the 17 00 ex-Carlisle. Due to the timings and subsequent encroaching dusk, photos of this working are generally confined to Carlisle, Stainton crossing and Newcastleton.  They show a dominance of high numbered Class 46s, Holbeck Class 45s and the occasional Brush Type 4 

The WR winter timetable for 1968/69 (effective from 30 September) was amended before what is shown in the 6 May 1968 public TT came into force. 1S68 St Pancras - Glasgow was retimed by about an hour earlier requiring 1S65 to be retimed by a similar amount, departing Carlisle at 15:58 rather than 17:00.

This worked to my advantage In early December 1968 when I spent an afternoon free of university lectures visiting Kingmoor shed in the hope of getting a shot of 44767 (the Stephenson valve gear Black 5) which at that time was stored in the 12A repair shop (the rest of the shed was full of stored Claytons and Metrovick Co-Bos). Needless to say it turned out to be f1.8 @ a fortnight lighting conditions, so photographically it was a complete waste of time and I was very pleased to find on my return to Citadel station that there was an imminent departure for Edinburgh over the WR - although I possessed the current ScR public timetable I didn't have the amendment notice informing of 1S65's earlier departure time. The 15.58 timing did enable photography of the train along the southern extremity of the line, even in the depths of winter (as stated by 'Chard), but the shot I took out of the carriage window at Newcastleton is so under-exposed as to be not worth uploading here! (from memory the loco was D193 on that occasion).

Bill

• Like 1

That's awesome Bill, and of course it was retimed, I must be going senile - how on earth would Kenneth Gray have obtained all those great shots around Stainton (uploaded on RailScot) during November otherwise!   Also, it would have run in the path of the last 2S52 wouldn't it?

Indeed, one of these photos features D193 on 1S65, and its existence prompted me to include this Blue Full Yellow End Class 46 in my fleet in model form.

As for the pilgrimage to 12A, that's surely the best lecture-free afternoon ever spent. Huge respect, sir!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 31/03/2024 at 10:12, The Border Reiver said:

Here is a photo I took in April 1965 of class 45 D82 on the down Thames Clyde passing Caldew Junction just north of Carlisle station. Although not taken during the winter timetable period it may be useful to you.

GH030_06_20160614_0007_1200.jpg.f1e429510053530e06356caae455d867.jpg

Border Reiver
Thank you for the photo. If you go onto the S&C Layout and look at the latest Horton photos you will see something in N Gauge which may look familiar. However I am awaiting the Box Code Cl 45 being released hopefully later this year or early next as currently we are using GF Cl 45 however they do look in keeping. Thanks again.

Edited by mac1960
  • Like 1