DCC controller for 7mm

Schooner

Sorry for asking a question that probably has an obvious answer, but searching Google and RMWeb has come up short.

I have my eyes on a DCC controller for a tiny (c.5'x2') 7mm Inglenook* which puts out:

"3.0 Amps of Power to run multiple trains.

Booster outputs 13V DC for safe operation in N and HO scales."

I'm all for safe operation in N and HO, but is this enough beans for O gauge?

Schooner

*So one loco in steam, nothing bigger than a B4/Terrier or trains heavier than 5 kit wagons. It's fitted with some bells and whistles, but no lit rolling stock or anything like that. Future plan would be to use the same controller on a similarly sized 4mm layout too, if possible.

I don't think there is a specific controller for O gauge.  Some locos that take a lot of amps may require a large decoder.  Most modern O gauge locos (from Dapol, Minerva, Heljan for example) will be happy with standard 00 decoders.  All my locos have sound and all have standard decoders.

The type of controller you need boils down to the size of layout.  If your layout is as you say then the controller you describe will be good.

My controller for my 21' long O layout is NCE with 5A smart booster.  Overkill I suspect.

John

• Thanks 1

It’s all a matter of current, how many amps will be drawn at maximum. With the micro layout described only one small engine and a light load will be controlled at any one time so max load is unlikely to be much more than one amp and any controller designed for 00 gauge layout use will be perfectly adequate. The heavy duty controllers and boosters are only needed for large layouts where there are multiple trains moving and heavy loads. Some old 0 gauge models had rough and primitive motors which draw a lot of current but it sounds unlikely that you are going to be using those. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I am building a large 0 gauge layout and have found the Lenz DCC system is perfect for operating in this gauge . The recent addition of the wireless hand throttle has been a massive advance to the system 

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2024 at 15:31, Schooner said:

I have my eyes on a DCC controller for a tiny (c.5'x2') 7mm Inglenook* which puts out:

"3.0 Amps of Power to run multiple trains.

Booster outputs 13V DC for safe operation in N and HO scales."

My 7mm double track branch, 17' along one wall, 22' along the other, with room to run three locos readily, runs on a Digitrax Zephyr, which is limited to three amps and puts out about 14v.   During operating sessions my chums bring all sort of locos to run.   We have never tripped the circuit breaker on the unit with too many locos.   Of course, I have no digital accessories.   The points are driven by tortoises, which are switched in an analog fashion, and the power comes from an old toy train transformer.

I think three amp should be ample for whatever you are going to run on a 5' x 2' plank.   Don't over spend.

Edited by bluestag
spelling
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

It is overkill (and yes @bluestag, probably over spend!) but I think it's probably the best balance of compromises for me. I also appreciate the element of future proofing, as the distant future may hold 'proper' layouts either in a room c.16'x14', or the 40+x of loft space...

Thanks again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

It is overkill (and yes @bluestag, probably over spend!) but I think it's probably the best balance of compromises for me. I also appreciate the element of future proofing, as the distant future may hold 'proper' layouts either in a room c.16'x14', or the 40+x of loft space...

Thanks again

My point was that the 3 amp unit is more than sufficient for your current needs.   The future can be handled by adding a booster.   As I say, I have five or six decoder fitted locos on the track, with two or three running, on my 3 amp center unit.   I don't expect to ever need more.   Especially as I don't power turnouts with it.   I'd suggest you buy the one you described.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bluestag said:

My point was that the 3 amp unit is more than sufficient for your current needs.   The future can be handled by adding a booster.   As I say, I have five or six decoder fitted locos on the track, with two or three running, on my 3 amp center unit.   I don't expect to ever need more.   Especially as I don't power turnouts with it.   I'd suggest you buy the one you described.

In my post above I agreed that 3A controller would be fine.

However, I don't think one should worry very much about powered turnouts.  I have only a handful on my layout.  They are actuated with Tortoise motors and Wabbit stationary decoders.  These decoders only take power when activated and run for just 3 seconds.  The rest of the time they are idle, taking no power.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, brossard said:

In my post above I agreed that 3A controller would be fine.

However, I don't think one should worry very much about powered turnouts.  I have only a handful on my layout.  They are actuated with Tortoise motors and Wabbit stationary decoders.  These decoders only take power when activated and run for just 3 seconds.  The rest of the time they are idle, taking no power.

John

OK, I'd expect on a plank layout to see no more than five turnouts.   The tortoises draw power all the time.  But not much.

I like having a lever frame with a signal man and loco drivers.   The loco drivers will only throw a few turnouts, on a ground frame, that are too far from the signal box to drive mechanically.   (This is 1900).   And the loco drivers do not have access to the turnouts thru their throttle.   This is just me being finicky.   I like the prototypical division of labor and responsibilities.  

2021-10-18 05.56.45 (2).jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bluestag said:

OK, I'd expect on a plank layout to see no more than five turnouts.   The tortoises draw power all the time.  But not much.

I like having a lever frame with a signal man and loco drivers.   The loco drivers will only throw a few turnouts, on a ground frame, that are too far from the signal box to drive mechanically.   (This is 1900).   And the loco drivers do not have access to the turnouts thru their throttle.   This is just me being finicky.   I like the prototypical division of labor and responsibilities.  

2021-10-18 05.56.45 (2).jpg

When powered by DC, Tortoises are on all the time with the motor stalled out.  My layout from years ago had DCC but DC Tortoises and ISTR they were pretty noisy.  Using DCC, as I said, they are only on when switching so mostly silent.

As for signal levers, this is the next step for my layout.  DCC Concepts levers and encoder are on order.  Right now, I have green momentary buttons on the fascia on both sides of the layout enabling operation from front or back.  You are right, there should be a signalman controlling most of the turnouts.  I do have have one turnout, that would have been manually operated, to the cattle dock and coal yard which will retain it's fascia button.

John

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brossard said:

When powered by DC, Tortoises are on all the time with the motor stalled out.  My layout from years ago had DCC but DC Tortoises and ISTR they were pretty noisy.  Using DCC, as I said, they are only on when switching so mostly silent.

Oh, I did not know the tortoises did not draw power at the limits, while driven by dcc.   The decoders don't draw ANY power?  My tortoises are driven by half wave DC, this being the mode with the least wire, as far as I can see.   They make a faint noise when moving, but are silent when stopped.    Perhaps it is a factor of my layout construction: L girders and a thick baseboard top of 3/4" ply with 1/2" fiber board on top?  It might be hard to excite the mass to make noise.

Anyway, the OP wanted to run a plank with a 3 amp controller, and I say that will be ample if it is only running trains.   Apparently some turnouts on the buss won't overload it.   I also prefer as analog a control system as I can rig.   My brain seems to understand analog without difficulty, but I find digital confounding at times.    Luckily one of my chums in the operating group is a wiz at it, and he tunes my locos for me.

• Like 1