I am modelling Princetown (GWR) railway station.  Photographs of the yard show a siding terminating in what appears to be a ramp. The end of the ramp is approximately wagon height.  There is no crane or other infrastructure adjacent to the ramp.  

Can anyone advise whether this was a loading ramp and if so what for?  The ramp appears  on the Historic England website, aerial photo EAW049614.

Stations with a siding terminating in a loading ramp were a commonplace item from the time that the national rail network was beginning to develop. The initial purpose was to permit the loading of flat wagons attached to passenger trains, which allowed the wealthy to have their road coach travel with them. (There was regular provision of horseboxes too.)

• Agree 2

'Branch Line Terminii of the GWR, volume 2', by Paul Karau has some photos that show the loading bank, in the section about Princetown. There isn't any relevant description or text in it, though. There are drawings of the buildings, without dimensions, but there is no mention there of the bank, I suppose because it's not a building.

• RMweb Gold

End loading banks were provided at many stations. They're just a normal part of the infrastructure so they don't get special mentions.

I don't think they had a specific purpose - they are just for general access to load/unload low trolley wagons or van or wagons that open at the end.

(End loading at Fairford is provided on a short kick-back spur from the goods loop, which angles slightly but still requires the rear corner of the signal box to be cut away to provide access!)

All drawings in "Branch Line Termini" are 4mm scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The RCH Handbook of Stations had letter codes for the facilities that were available, and hence the traffic that could be handled, at each station. If the entry for your station includes the letters F and C, then it had such an end-loading ramp or bay. F = Furniture Vans, Carriages, Portable Engines, and Machines on Wheels - i.e. the sorts of things that would be loaded on a traction wagon or lowmac, etc. C = Carriages by Passenger Train - i.e. loaded on an open or closed carriage truck. It's unusual to have one without the other - the exceptions being stations that had either no goods facilities or no passenger facilities.

In the 1904 edition of the Handbook (David & Charles reprint, 1970), Princetown has the full gamut of facilities: G P F L H C. The meaning of the four letters G P L and H should be self-evident...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The RCH Handbook of Stations had letter codes for the facilities that were available, and hence the traffic that could be handled, at each station. If the entry for your station includes the letters F and C, then it had such an end-loading ramp or bay. F = Furniture Vans, Carriages, Portable Engines, and Machines on Wheels - i.e. the sorts of things that would be loaded on a traction wagon or lowmac, etc. C = Carriages by Passenger Train - i.e. loaded on an open or closed carriage truck. It's unusual to have one without the other - the exceptions being stations that had either no goods facilities or no passenger facilities.

In the 1904 edition of the Handbook (David & Charles reprint, 1970), Princetown has the full gamut of facilities: G P F L H C. The meaning of the four letters G P L and H should be self-evident...

P = Prisoners?

• Funny 4

Probably not a lot of cattle on Dartmoor, so I don't suppose it had milk trains, but a loading bank like that would be needed at a station that sent Rotanks of the stuff

Untitled.jpg.66d00f4bc8fe720fe13d0f5dcebd9654.jpg

I don't think the inmates were allowed to make alcoholic drinks either, same wagon at Didcot again

no-3030-rotank-flat-wagon_a_0_20220507-090640.jpg.5cb6d376cdcfa580e5c0bda62a375553.jpghttps:/

• Like 2

RCH code P was in fact Passengers and Parcels. P* was Passengers but no parcels. P with a 'dagger' suffix (sorry, don't have that symbol!) was Parcels, but no passengers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1