Tarpaulin Material ?

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Incidentally, had you thought about selling your artwork for (special RMWeb) people to print? A little bit of pocket money for your efforts.

The numbers and dates I have used are fairly specific to the period I model [1959-60 basically, although the odd anachronism sometimes creeps in]. The life of traditional sheets was quite short, the usual figure given being a maximum of five years, and BR had so many [an article in the BR ER Magazine for December 1954 gives a total stock of 360,000 sheets] that they reached 999999 and went back to the beginning and started again circa 1959/60. To be honest, I don't want to put time and effort into supplying other people; it would take up time I would rather spend modelling [I sometimes think I spend too much time on here as it is...]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fulton said:

tying ropes (I think called cords in this situation)

The 1936 GWR General Appendix refers to the strings on the sheets as sheet ties. Loads were mostly roped under the sheet, but odd cases of roping over the sheet do appear in photographs.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used some Acid free tissue paper placed on top of an old Hornby coach body then a Wood glue-water mixture brushed onto it (If I remember correctly). If my painting job afterwards wasn't so crude it would have looked good.

On 19/03/2024 at 10:09, fulton said:

I use thin tissue/ tracing paper, the type of thing kits were wrapped in, sprayed black, then lettered by hand using an Epping 0.7mm white gel pen, once crinkled up, the hand lettering looks OK to me, some tarps have various lines as well as lettering, tying ropes (I think called cords in this situation) are glued on, will post photo when back in the UK.

Now back home, they look better from a distance!

IMG_0733.JPG

Hi all,

Like Trainnoob I use acid free wrapping tissue paper. Sounds expensive, But it is not really as I bought the paper to wrap stored locos. One pack had more than enough for the original purchase and also make tarpaulins. One sheet could do 30+ wagons.

Lettering - I have seen (although I have no idea where now ) a home made stamp used for this, made from suitably sized Slaters lettering glued to a backing piece and used with white ink/paint much like potato printing. Not tried it yet although there is now a sizeable pile of Tunnocks Wafer wrappers in the 'to do' pile. 

Just remember to glue the letters on upside down. 

• Like 1