35-412SF Bachmann Class 47712 : Back dating to late 1980s?

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Are there an class 47 experts in our happy throng who could answer this query please?

I currently have my eye on Bachmann's latest offering of a ScotRail class 47, namely 47712  "Lady Diana Spencer" 

I note that the model appears to be finished in its current preserved livery, and was wondering what apart from replacement of the modern warning flashes would also need to be altered to back date the model to its late 1980s condition?

Hopefully the donor model is suitable in the first place?

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GD said:

Bogie frames will need to swap ends for the speedo cable to be correct and silver kick plates need to be the lower body colour.

That good info thanks, looks like its doable then !

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2024 at 12:31, Blobrick said:

I am hoping to back date the model to around 1989 so when were the roof mounted aerials fitted?

47712 was fitted with them in March 1988. See this photo, copyright Brian Daniels:

47712 Edinburgh 19-3-88

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A couple of minor obs…

unusually 47712 managed not to have its builders plate stolen until 1988, but only on the drivers side, radiator end.

47712 Crewe Works 29 September 1986.

flickr url not mine

860918_47712

no builders plate side (manchester victoria on a Transpenine working), flickr url not mine

at this time, its data panel was next to the cab door in the grey at standing height on one side but none on the other.

in 1989 it had another repaint, which covered that patch from the builders plate, but the data panel was moved to the bottom of the drivers cab  by the kick plate, but on the yellow side.

47712 Lady Diana Spencer. Gateshead Mpd. 25-10-1988

Flickr url not mine.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Repainted november 1986 at crewe works and the cabside data panels were there by 1987 so either crewe put them there or missed them off and Eastfield finished the job.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps, really appreciated all your help on this matter. One quick question though does anyone know if the modern electrification flashes are bigger or smaller than the original ones?

Bob C

11 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Thanks chaps, really appreciated all your help on this matter. One quick question though does anyone know if the modern electrification flashes are bigger or smaller than the original ones?

Bob C

If the sizing of the mk2f ohl flashes are anything to go by, they will be the same size as the fox transfers version (albeit red to yellow, i.e. reverse of your plans)

Not quite:

Railtec, Replica and Hurst electrification 80’s/90’s flash transfers cover the Bachmann 1:1.

The fox transfer on Ref. F4214 is longer (taller). Rather odd.

The data panel on 35-412 is in the wrong place for 47712. The Bachmann decals can be softened with white spirt and rubbed off gently with a cotton bud but this will leave you with a shiny spot.

If you are thinking of adding the aerial which was in undercoat reddy orange on 712, I wouldn‘t use a 250 GBP model to practice fitting a Shawplan 45-39 to. My method is to paint the aerial whilst still on the etch, then cut off, hold in place in the middle and one end with blu-tac, swipe the back with superglue and press down.

The builder plate is available as a 3D transfer from Railtec. Useful for renumbering 35-415 to 47712.

The headlight lenses have a rippled effect on them which isn‘t prototypical for the late 1980‘s model but I‘d advise leaving these as they are.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2024 at 18:08, ohmygoodnessme said:

Not quite:

Railtec, Replica and Hurst electrification 80’s/90’s flash transfers cover the Bachmann 1:1.

The fox transfer on Ref. F4214 is longer (taller). Rather odd.

The data panel on 35-412 is in the wrong place for 47712. The Bachmann decals can be softened with white spirt and rubbed off gently with a cotton bud but this will leave you with a shiny spot.

If you are thinking of adding the aerial which was in undercoat reddy orange on 712, I wouldn‘t use a 250 GBP model to practice fitting a Shawplan 45-39 to. My method is to paint the aerial whilst still on the etch, then cut off, hold in place in the middle and one end with blu-tac, swipe the back with superglue and press down.

The builder plate is available as a 3D transfer from Railtec. Useful for renumbering 35-415 to 47712.

The headlight lenses have a rippled effect on them which isn‘t prototypical for the late 1980‘s model but I‘d advise leaving these as they are.  

Brilliant that just  the information l needed to know. thank you and everyone else for taking the time to offer advice and help on this matter

Very much appreciated

Bob C 

Edited by Blobrick

On 24/03/2024 at 21:43, Blobrick said:

Brilliant that just  the information l needed to know. thank you and everyone else for taking the time to offer advice and help on this matter

Very appreciatively

Bob C 

Hi Bob

using a cotton bud and T cut you can easily remove the old warning flashes and a nice shiny surface remains to put the replacements on

John

• Informative/Useful 1