Confusion regarding the HM7040 legacy dongle

Trainnoob

According to Hornby controller the legacy dongle allows you to use the "DCC app to control non-Bluetooth DCC decoders and work" but I emailed Hornby and they said it only works with HM7000 decoders so I am confused, I not sure if im being stupid or not.

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

they missed off "if you already have a compatible DCC command station" e.g. Select or Elite

I am aware of that. Just got an email from Hornby telling me there original email was incorrect and that you can.

I have a Legacy Dongle plugged in to a Hornby Elite. I have been running loco's fitted with TCS DP2X-UK decoders for some weeks since the dongle was made available - also controlling said loco's from my iPhone - no problems whatsoever. I am not sure how many "controllers" have the Xpressnet socket required to take the dongle.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

They don't say if they have tested it with other makes of controller. Is this likely to be viable option ?

There have been reports from the "wild" of people trying it with Z21 and Lenz systems with success. 

This has been covered before on this and other forums. The dongle will work if your controller has an RJ port that supports Xpressnet.
Some controllers have a port but it is for Loconet which does not work with the dongle.

There are other controllers that support Xpressnet but have a Din socket and these may work via a suitable Din-RJ adaptor.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Kris said:

There have been reports from the "wild" of people trying it with Z21 and Lenz systems with success. 

It works perfect with my z21. My father has a Lenz setup for his LGB garden layout, but haven't tried that.

I do have a problem with the TTS profiles, I can connect and run (with sound) my original TTS fitted P2, but I can't import the soundprofile, the button's simply not there. 

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

I do have a problem with the TTS profiles, I can connect and run (with sound) my original TTS fitted P2, but I can't import the soundprofile, the button's simply not there. 

I hope you didn't think you could now load TTS sounds. The facility for TTS profiles is purely for the function key mapping, not the sound.

The sound is burnt into the decoder at the factory and cannot be reloaded onto a TTS or any other decoder.

The import you are trying to do is simply to save you typing in the functions key allocations again.

When you go to that profile that is the only option for that very reason.

Edit - just to reiterate the process for a dongle operated loco.

1. Set up that loco in the engine shed. This includes importing a function key map for TTS locos.

2. Go to manage dongle and assign that loco to the dongle.

3. Rinse and repeat for other locos.

4. Each such loco will appear on the control screen ribbon with the dongle shown as its 'decoder'.

Edited by RAF96
More info added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks! I was aware of the first part, it’s with the second I have a problem. 

When I add a new vehicle - locomotive in the engine shed, I can name and number that one, but if I choose to ‘browse profiles’ to get the function key map, it tells me to assign a decoder. If I do, choosing the Dongle, the ‘browse profiles’ button disappears. I’m sure it’s me and not HM7000, but what did I do wrong? 

44 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Thanks! I was aware of the first part, it’s with the second I have a problem. 

When I add a new vehicle - locomotive in the engine shed, I can name and number that one, but if I choose to ‘browse profiles’ to get the function key map, it tells me to assign a decoder. If I do, choosing the Dongle, the ‘browse profiles’ button disappears. I’m sure it’s me and not HM7000, but what did I do wrong? 

Nothing you did wrong - there is a glitch loading multiple TTS profiles.

Use this convoluted method until it is fixed.

If it is a regular HM7K profile you are talking about then load from the profiles page rather than the loco page.

IMG_1782.jpeg

Edited by RAF96
  • Round of applause 1