The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Youtube - advice please

stewartingram

With the proliferation of videos on Youtube covering "our" interests, I've been saving quite a few of them as "favourites" so that I can return to them for more leisurely viewing. Now I have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to save the actual video to my PC? There seems to be a number of downloads freely available (totally freeware, time limited demos, or programs for sale) so does anyone have any ideas here?

2) Considering this is purely for personal use, what are the implications of copyright.

Apologies to moderators if I am straying over the line here with copyright issues, but that is exactly why I am posting, to clarify it!

I don't know how the copyrighting works but there may well be reference to it somewhere on the YouTube site. I know that videos covering actual copyrighted material often get removed anyway, e.g. BBC have removed TV clips of theirs and I know Phil Collins had the Cadbury gorilla advert removed!!

As for downloading videos for watching later, perhaps away from the internet, you can use RealPlayer (latest free version). In Internet Explorer you will then get a 'Download Now' button appear in the corner of the video for you to click on. In Safari on my Mac this appears on the toolbar and lists videos with the option of downloading. I use this a lot for teaching as there are many videos on YouTube useful in lessons but the site is quite rightly blocked by the local authority to keep children safe from inappropriate content. This allows me to play them using RealPlayer if I download them at home in advance.

Hope that helps.

Real player has a reputation as bloatwear, with lots of "extras" - message centre etc. you don't need or want. The Real video format also has lots of file tags and format issues that make editing a pain on occasions.

The program I suggested - Any video convertor, allows you to encode in any format that suits. The quality is better as well.

Having started with Realplayer, and just tried AVC, looks like you are right! What's the best format to save in? I'm probably going to save to DVD (would like autoplay on home players to TV rather than PC, but also watch on PC and possibly my phone too (HTC HD2).

• RMweb Gold

Whichever route you take you will be breaching copyright though I'm afraid.

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

M. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content.

Archived