Southampton Dock Steam Loco Headcodes

What headcodes did they use within Southampton Dock? 

I haven't found any pictures of B4s at the docks. The USA tanks I have found seem to have a single disc middle above buffer beam but they usually seem to have things written on in black. I've seen 2, 4, 5, 12 and an R. 

Is a single disc code like this light engine as with lamps (I'm new to SR/BR(S) and details of UK operations generally)  

What do the letters mean?

TIA

1 hour ago, Fettster42 said:

What headcodes did they use within Southampton Dock? 

I haven't found any pictures of B4s at the docks. The USA tanks I have found seem to have a single disc middle above buffer beam but they usually seem to have things written on in black. I've seen 2, 4, 5, 12 and an R. 

Is a single disc code like this light engine as with lamps (I'm new to SR/BR(S) and details of UK operations generally)  

What do the letters mean?

TIA

I don't know about Southampton docks, but quite a lot of places had what they called a target, for a particular duty that a loco might be allocated to.

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

Each duty spelled out a locomotive's tasks for the "day" together with the timings for those tasks.

So no particular reason for any number without a list of the daily duties? 

The numbers were almost always carried by locos working out of sheds on the South Eastern whereas they were often missing on the Central and South Western (so the discs were just plain white). Specials had the letters SPL above the number in a much smaller font. Three digit numbers seem most common but one might expect that.