DCC and electromagnets

I'm planning a micro layout. DCC with just a single point powered by a cobalt ip digital I have spare. I want to add one or two electromagnetic uncouplers for dingham or sprat and winkle, which one TBC, but same requirement.  

I don't really want to have a separate power pack at 16V for the electromagnets. Is there a simple (simple is key!!) Way of running the electromagnets off the DCC bus?

I'm not likely to bother with DCCcontrol. A push button will be fine for control, it's just a power source needed. 

TiA

34 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Get a cheap rectifier use that to convert the DCC to DC. 

Agreed.    In general, using DCC power as basic power is expensive, but there are niche cases where it makes sense.  

With the DC output powering things, fit something to control the back-emf from the electromagnet(s).  Otherwise the control button will burn out rather rapidly.    The control of back-emf could be:   a "squelch" diode over the electromagnet, or; a DC transistor switching device, such as a "Mosfet" circuit available from Ebay/Amazon/etc..  

I would place the operating button in the DCC input not in the DC output as this will ensure that the rectifier only operates and draws power when you want to use the uncoupler - but still place a diode (or similar) over the electromagnet as suggested by Nigel.

On 29/03/2024 at 08:48, WIMorrison said:

I would place the operating button in the DCC input not in the DC output as this will ensure that the rectifier only operates and draws power when you want to use the uncoupler

It will also make the switch contacts last longer, if the electromagnet takes any appreciable current, as DCC is AC and any tendency to arc will be prevented every time the voltage crosses zero.

• Agree 1