Dingham couplings with 3 link as magnetic droppers

Has anyone tried this? I've seen sprat and winkle with Magnetic 3 links and they help the realism but that's offset by the loops. 

So I think I'm going with Dinghams woth my OO gauge (also Dad has used then on his O gauge so have some experience of then)  but the dropper is much closer to the buffer beam than the S&W. Does it work and does it look OK?

TIA

I use single ended 3mm S&W's on my 00 layout and once the loop and couplings are painted black they are very unobtrusive, to the eye at least.. and have found the advantage of these couplings compared to others , having tried most of them over the years, is their relative simplicity and ease of tweaking to local conditions - usually a bend of either the loop or bar  to  do a slight adjustment. I also add a last magnetic 3 link chain to the dropper for remote uncoupling.

Couple of pics showing them.

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Fettster42 said:

Has anyone tried this? I've seen sprat and winkle with Magnetic 3 links and they help the realism but that's offset by the loops. 

So I think I'm going with Dinghams woth my OO gauge (also Dad has used then on his O gauge so have some experience of then)  but the dropper is much closer to the buffer beam than the S&W. Does it work and does it look OK?

TIA

I can’t see any point in putting a link onto a Dingham. If you want to try it just bend the end of the magnetic wire into the shape of a loop. Far simpler.