7mm in 7 foot - A tribute layout- Alston Sidings

7mmin7foot

Well, having not been in the 7mm forum for a while, I’ve just found this thread, and what a cracking little project this is.

I cannot be held responsible for any filing of bankruptcy due to only wanting 4 locos….5….6….7….13….14…seeing as you quoted me as inspiration 😛

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2024 at 17:26, 7mmin7foot said:

Rails just announced Heljan are to release Class 122 bubble cars in O 

They havent just announced it - they must be close to the record for the longest ever gestation! I think development stalled when Dapol brought theirs out first.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

They havent just announced it - they must be close to the record for the longest ever gestation! I think development stalled when Dapol brought theirs out first.

Point taken, but Rails email this week,  said it was new for 2024 and asking for pre-orders, hence my post.

As  I  have only just started in O Gauge, I am now only starting to receive their O updates.. so have no knowledge  of anything that went / announced before.

On the upside.... I guess my wait will be shorter than others............. unless it's delayed again..😀

Steve

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, having not been in the 7mm forum for a while, I’ve just found this thread, and what a cracking little project this is.

I cannot be held responsible for any filing of bankruptcy due to only wanting 4 locos….5….6….7….13….14…seeing as you quoted me as inspiration 😛

Thank you.

Well, you certainly ignited some part of the fire in me 😀

I use your thread and you tube channel as a constant reference source, and yes... I can see the  loco funds being stretched to the limit....

Steve

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not much update / progress , with  the break in the wretched rain at last = catch up with some domestic & gardening duties...

That and I am dealing with an infestation of mozzies in my shed... never had that before...irritating things they are...

So a uv zapper & fly screen door net  is on order..as well as a thorough investigation of the shed interior and exterior, to see where / how the blighters are getting in.

Can't believe they all flew in  en mass last week when I had the door open... 

Anyways, better stuff...  with my imagination running riot at times, I am always on the look out for detailing bits n pieces...

Other than my crash barriers, I haven't had any dealings with 3d printed stuff before...

However, I have found some very  nice modern image stuff  and done the deed ..

These from www.3dprintingcorner.co.uk  , I will be back for more !

Wall mounted air con units... these look fab,, even better  when they are painted.

Wheely bins...  these are super little things, lids supplied so can be glued open / closed or anything in between..

IBC Pallet 1000L tanks...  tank is separate from the cage too.. cool that.

Also:

ModelU figures... various BR figures packs,

Have to say, I am well impressed with the detail of all this stuff.. which will improve  further ,when they are painted and given washes etc..

My first experience with 3d printed  stuff.. , while it isn't cheap... it really is good !

Cheers

Steve

PS

Oh look... the rain is back  ;o)

20240422_111654 (Medium).jpg

20240422_111951 (Medium).jpg

20240422_112354 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
text
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have purschased a few items from these guys and, Yes they are well worth it....

Stunning items that make a layout. 😃

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, the staff can literally breath a 'sigh of relief' .... the loo has arrived ! 😃

Needs a little work to tone it down, and weather and detail...

Added to the 'to do' list...

Steve

20240422_112217 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)

Sometimes.. life , domestic and garden duties intervene in modelling time... especially when trying to do outside stuff in between the rain!

As such, I enjoy doing a few little jobs for the layout, rather than tackling anything big.

The air-con installs  was such a small project so made a start..

Painting , adding a bit of conduit for the leccy supply... I am well pleased with how they turned out.

These small additional details really add to the scenics methinks ( Still  loads to do..)

Need to get a few more to keep the inhabitants  of the units happy and cool when needed 😃

Steve

Steve20240427_111540(Medium).jpg.7a10f46099ac00ceb13c2a829b49fbbf.jpg

20240427_141253(Medium).jpg.24337500f3934c1b01835e3fc15e8e16.jpg

20240427_141824 (Medium).jpg

20240427_150604 (Medium).jpg

20240427_150655 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)

May already ?

A few more smallish / mini projects as its been a little warmer..

All the back ground structures removed and the back scenic ply board has been painted, thus adding a little more colour to the scene, rather than the wooden ply shade it replaces.

Again, nothing ( other than track) is glued down, to facilitate this and also when time comes for ballasting...just so much easier to work on the individual structures while the layout is 'in progress'.

Tried using a printed back scene but the so called special back scene glue was rubbish.. hardly any tack and wouldn't stick.. just a soggy creased mess.. so was binned.

Simples paint.. will do.... and so it is .. 'This is the way' ....👍

Wondered what to do with the gap on the back scene, between the first set of buildings and the storage tanks.

Decided security fencing will be added and some sort of 'in progress construction' behind.

Needs some more scenic  work.. but this fills the gap effectively, and will look ok from my viewing / operating position.

The small base in between is the footprint for the pump house... another mini project on the to do list.

At some point soon, I shall be spraying the track in its dark base colour. It will have to be a last job of the day though due to the paint fumes.

Then can start to detail the track and start the wretched ballasting task... ( yak) 

On the upside... it won't be as bad as the HO Swiss stuff I did last year.. Being O and 7mm.. the track is sooo much bigger and less of it... ( yay )😃

Slow.... but steady progress..👍

Steve

20240502_143826 (Medium).jpg

20240502_153540 (Medium).jpg

20240504_111916 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

Started another mini project, the  Railway Laser Lines Pump House.

What a cracking little kit this is, really well designed, and some of the best fitting corner brickwork I have experienced.

A tad expensive for what it is, but everything now seems expensive as I get older...😀

Clever method of build too.. all laser cut interlocking parts form an interior skeleton, and the brick facings form an exterior skin.

When painted and assembled with a little sanding, the outer simply slips over the inner parts.. very clever that.

Anyways, with the masking , painting, drying  and assembly just this far has taken me most of today... but time flew past.

Still a long way to go with it yet, but it's a great addition to my scenics... and will look fab with the all the pipework etc..

To be continued.......

Cheers

Steve

20240504_111945 (Medium).jpg

20240505_114700 (Medium).jpg

20240505_155359 (Medium).jpg

20240505_155311 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

The Pump House is almost complete, just the roof and mortar joints and a little weathering to be done.

Also need to make up some signage too..

While waiting for it to dry, a few little tweaks occurred...

The fuel siding was shortened a tad allowing better access to the pump house.

Pipe work / runs positions  have been slightly altered , which I feel look better.

Very pleased with the pump house building, a super little kit  to build too.

Steve

Before, after  tweaking shots, and a photo of the real pump house ..

20240506_135637 (Medium).jpg

20240506_160334 (Medium).jpg

canton2-510x360 (Medium).png

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)

The garish red oxide brickwork of the pump house has been toned down and mortar joints filled, looking loads better methinks.

A new valve has been fitted on one of the pipes on the delivery/ receiving side of the pump house.

Next will be the roof and some more pipe / valve operations, and a few other little details.

Really enjoyed this mini kit build, only small but makes such a difference to the scene.

Well pleased with it. 

Steve

20240506_160334 (Medium).jpg

20240507_120338 (Medium).jpg

20240507_120437 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 12

Posted (edited)

As its a tad warmer.... the rattle can mini projects continue ;o)

This time the fuel grids at the fuel points...Needed to prep and paint these prior to track painting and eventual ballasting.

They won't fit in situ when track is ballasted so I needed to work out exactly where these will go, start and end points etc.

I also need to order another set....and some other 'stuff' from railway laser lines.

Have to say these are really quite filigree models, again expensive for that they are..( laser cut card), but with the amount of detail they add (even in the raw) is quite impressive. There are literally hundreds of tiny little holes lasered into them..

Assembly was  straightforward, placement, not so much... entirely down to me, not the product..

I should have used a sleeper spacer tool when laying  the flexi track! 

Inevitably ( entirely due to my track laying) they needed a little trimming here and there to fit over some of the sleepers... ah well.. am sure they will look ok when completed and oiled up.

Fortunately these will be adjacent to hard standing area's so the bodges won't be visible ;o)

Just primered, and a quick spray of black base colour and they come out a treat... used an entire rattle tin of black too !

A few pics  of before and after ... clearly a lot more work to be done ( and on the entire layout)...... but had to make a start..

The track will be sprayed under the grids so the gaps in track won't be seen through the holes.

Steve

20240510_120551 (Medium).jpg

20240510_120600 (Medium).jpg

20240510_144145 (Medium).jpg

20240510_144159 (Medium).jpg

20240510_145755 (Medium).jpg

20240510_145800 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)

Another hour on a mini project...

Amazing how these little mini projects added together start to bring the whole scene into focus.

Getting a forklift ( yet to be purchased) across from the tarmac to the service hard standing between the tracks has been mocked up.

Have to get those drums and palletised bulk containers/ consumables to the loco's somehow.

Again, only loosely placed, and as yet incomplete.... as I need to identify where the future ballasting will start and end.. still a long way to go yet...

A few pics of loco's too ;o)

Steve

20240513_155954 (Medium).jpg

20240513_123314 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 6

Must be a Monday morning,yon chappie looks a bit hacked off.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 13/05/2024 at 20:18, 34006 said:

Must be a Monday morning,yon chappie looks a bit hacked off.

Phil

So would I if I'd just stood in the biggest seagull dollop you ever saw, like he has.... 😂😂

Re the fuel track grilles, I do hope the planned weathering includes a touch of dry brushing with something like gun metal paint, just to highlight that lasered mesh. 👍👌

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

So would I if I'd just stood in the biggest seagull dollop you ever saw, like he has.... 😂😂

Re the fuel track grilles, I do hope the planned weathering includes a touch of dry brushing with something like gun metal paint, just to highlight that lasered mesh. 👍👌

Indeed...Or is it Smurf Poop ;o)

He's really gonna feel pain when he gets a pin in his feet 😀

Nothing is yet finished, weathered or detailed...so yes they will get 'treatment', they are simply in situ as I need to establish where ballasting will start and end on each track.

The grilles can only be fitted to unballasted track.. 

Just getting the basic infrastructure in situ, prior to track painting and  ballasting, but doing a few mini projects before that ( aside from which, ballasting has always been my least favourite thing! ). With each step taken, the 'to do list' gets ever longer...  ;o)

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)

Ah well, the necessary evil project beginneth....

Everything removed that can be, area's masked off as required... start yer rattle cans... , add mask and get ready to evacuate the building..

The first / base coat of paint to the track work.....

Have to say, it kinda starts to bring it all together...

Rail heads all cleaned and locos and points tested.. all good.

More detailing of chairs etc to follow as well as getting ever closer to the worst part of the project... ballasting.... (yak).

Has to be done ;o)

Steve

20240517_142725 (Medium).jpg

20240517_144637 (Medium).jpg

20240517_144645 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 9

Made a start on board ballasting (seems  it  is a marmite thing... love it or hate it).

Still a long way to go.. its far too light in colour for a start... but that will change in due course with plenty of muckiness and oil deposits, fuel leaks  etc. ....

Considering how it's a chore that I dislike, its starting to look ok and starting to bring the model scene together.

Onward we go.... 👍

Steve

20240520_103554 (Medium).jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I think that's looking great - very neat work! As you say, it needs a good dose of grime to tie it in. Well worth the effort to get the texture right.

Cheers Mol !

Well that's the first boards base layer dried and cleaned up.

Far an away too clean and clinical, but it has to start somewhere..at least the base is done.. 

A little more ground base layers to add around the buildings and tanks yet.

Yes the slabs need much work too.. but its a start..and I look forward to the detailing parts.

This mucky pup scenery will be my first, having always modelled Swiss chocolate boxes... ;o)

So looking at lots of web and pictures you guys have posted, thanks !

Two out of three points (cobalts)  were stuck..and needed freeing off, thanks to the  ballast glue..

Point 3 will require some intensive care , but I shall need to separate the boards... I shouldn't have put faith in those self adhesive pads as supplied..

The recent warm weather has allowed #3 to pop off under the board leaving the pad in situ.

My first time ever using cobalts, so lesson learned...They will ALL be screwed and fixed in situ, belt n braces methinks...

Nothing too dramatic.. just hope no trains want to switch  tracks... 

Have to say, despite my dislike of ballasting, it is bringing it together nicely, and when mucked and oiled up with a bit of  greenery, and clutter will look the part..

Onward we go.. board 2...

Steve

20240521_105105 (Medium).jpg

20240521_105130 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
text
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Glad that's behind me  ;o)

Board 2 base ballast sorted, need to build on that with much oil, fuel spills and general muck and stuff..

Will be a while before I get to that though..as much other stuff to be done....

Also made a start on the prep work for the hard standing area...

Coming together nicely now methinks. 

Steve

20240523_135436 (Medium).jpg

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

A little more progress here n there.

Mock up of hard standing started, but awaiting more materials to have a proper go at it...

Clearly won't be clean concrete though. 

Still far too clean and clinical ...bring on the muck soon....

Yes, my man has yet again walked in some Smurf poop... it gets everywhere !

Also added a little more tarmac to the rear of the layout, still needs toning down and detailing, but all the main elements are now in.

After 6 months work, it's now starting to come together nicely now, and will continue to improve now the bases are in place.

Now... where my to do list...........

Steve

20240524_154658 (Medium).jpg

20240525_112609 (Medium).jpg

20240525_112218 (Medium).jpg

20240525_113443 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
text
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)

Literally, while waiting for paint to dry 😃  Thoughts come and go...

As a child, I can remember watching trains at the local depot / station through railings.... so this brings back memories ...

Unsure whether to keep these in place, but have to say, I do like looking through the fence...

Steve

20240526_153617 (Medium).jpg

20240526_160446 (Medium).jpg

Edited by 7mmin7foot
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1