Pecketts in Scotland

• RMweb Premium

I was watching a video about the Singer works at Clydebank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLcG7UrW8lE and towards the end there a shot of a shunting locomotive which appears to be a Peckett (the short handrail on the saddle tank is a reliable diagnostic). This made me realise that I don't think I've ever previously seen a picture of a Peckett on an industrial site in Scotland, Barclays having a near-monopoly. Are there any other examples?

Singer.jpg.5c057aa7c9eb943d1d96f14346571e91.jpg

• RMweb Premium

There was a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T (895 of1909) at Bedlay Colliery in 1978, and there were the 4 Sentinel steam locos at R B Tennent's Foundry in Coatbridge.

As you say, most of the steam locos in Scotland were Barclays.

3 minutes ago, Moxy said:

As you say, most of the steam locos in Scotland were Barclays.

Barclay was not the only industrial loco builder in Kilmarnock, never mind Scotland. The Industrial Railway Society handbook N is the essential reference, though it is itself now nearly a half century old. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Agree and an excellent Handbook (fortunately still have mine though bit grubby) 

Interesting too the NE wagons are clearly labelled return to Singer. 

Number of Austerity 0-6-0 were not constructed by Barclay 

Grant Ritchie also constructed & one preserved. 

Burntisland Aluminium Works had a Peckett 

Edited by DOCJACOB
typo

A quick count from the handbook table suggests 48 Pecketts in Scotland. There is also the issue of distinguishing the products of Andrew Barclay and of Barclays & Co - the designs were very similar. Neilson & Co were probably the next biggest after Andrew Barclay, but it is a complicated story, and English builders were by no means unrepresented north of the border.

British Aluminium Co. had one at Burntisland - W/N 1376 of 1915, now preserved at Brechin (according to the photo caption I'm reading). 

More interestingly from my point of view, the G&SWR inherited one from the Ayr Harbour Commissioners which they painted in full lined green livery and eventually passed on to the LMS. Sadly it never made it into BR hands, but it will if I ever find a second hand Hornby one for less than silly money.  Ian@Stenochs has done it in O gauge - 

• Like 1