DRG Couplings

Wannabe

Do you mean DG couplings? The only DRG couplings that come up on a google search are some form of driveshaft coupling.

Assuming that you do mean DG couplings, are you a member of the 2mm Association? They have a DG Coupling Height Setting Jig in Shops 2, 3 and 4.

Failing that, you could probably make something that sits on the railheads for a coupling to sit on so you can offer it up to the vehicle to see what packing or material removal is required.

Have a look on thr 2mm Association website. From the main menu look under ARTICLES, then got to 2mm FINESCALE MANUAL, and under COUPLINGS there is a PDF that gives chapter and verse on DG couplings. It also recommends 4.5mm from top of rail to bottom of buffing plate

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I did create a 3D print height jig for my own use a while back. It can be found on Shapeways, but I don't much like their prices these days:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZQPXZ7L2F/dg-jig

If it is of interest, I could add the STL to the 2mm Scale Association website 3D model exchange list, maybe.

Edited by Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wannabe said:

Hi.

Any suggestions for a height gauge so I can get all my couplings set at the right height please.

Generally most DG users set the couplings hard up against the underside of the wagon bufferbeams.  Whatever that measurement turns out to be, I'm not sure what it actually is. But you can set any height you want if you aren't intending to couple your stock to that of others, say on a group layout or whatever, when of course the same height is needed. I actually set mine at the height required to fit on the top of coach and diesel loco bogies, which is about 1mm lower than normal.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The 4.5mm above rail dimension works well as it allows the magnetic tail of the loop to be clear of the rail top on pointwork when the loop is in the raised uncoupled position.

If the coupling is mounted lower, the tail needs to be shortened  accordingly. If it catches, it can derail the stock.

• RMweb Premium

I’m currently experimenting with steel formed loops with no tail …. and operated by hand by waving a 6x6mm neodymium magnet above/around them. Nice and simple, and seems to work!

Bob

• Like 2

Couplng height gauge is simple. A small rectangular plasticard fabrication of 4 layers of 40thou. plus 1 of 20 thou. glued, layered together. It does help if the top layer overhangs a little.