LNWR Ratio coach kits in LMS livery

• RMweb Premium

D. Jenkinson, LNWR Carriages (2e, Pendragon, 1995) Plate 87, D268 third, after conversion to a camping coach but still in first, fully lined, LMS livery. 

What are you wanting to know? As far as livery is concerned, they followed the standard LMS carriage liveries. There was a general removal of lower footboards except at brake ends around 1930. I'm not sure of the extent of conversion to electric lighting. 

• Like 1

Thanks that’s helpful.

Wasn’t sure about livery changes.

Assumed fully lined for period I LMS but thought I’d seen somewhere that they retained LNWR livery for quite a while.

Thanks again 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Simon60 said:

Thanks that’s helpful.

Wasn’t sure about livery changes.

Assumed fully lined for period I LMS but thought I’d seen somewhere that they retained LNWR livery for quite a while.

Thanks again 

Many LNWR carriages were rather quickly repainted into LMS livery - possibly more quickly than would have been the case on a normal repainting cycle - especially those used on the principal expresses, very much in the public eye. Say within 2-3 years. But local and inter-district sets were perhaps not such urgent candidates and may in some cases have lasted in LNWR livery into the later 1920s. Where these 50 ft corridor carriages built 1898-1902 sat in that spectrum is an interesting question. Quite a few were transferred to the Midland Division; in photographs of Midland Division expresses in the later 1920s they are in LMS livery, so far as one can tell.

• Like 1

Really helpful points thank you, especially about the transfer to Midland division 

I just find them such lovely vehicles but not sure I’m eager to do the LNWR lining 

Done right they’re stunning 

• Like 1

LMS full livery created some issues on the coaches of some constituents, including the LNWR. There are sometimes raised panels often around the eaves which ended up being painted black edged in gold/yellow as if they were beading. The blocks of black ended up looking a little odd.

Alan 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Buhar said:

LMS full livery created some issues on the coaches of some constituents, including the LNWR. There are sometimes raised panels often around the eaves which ended up being painted black edged in gold/yellow as if they were beading. The blocks of black ended up looking a little odd.

I think you must be thinking here of carriages in the dining / sleeping saloon style? In fact the Midland's square-light carriages of 1896-1905 had quite deep beading in lieu of eves panels, which was always painted black. 

• Like 1