Bachmann Jinty motor issues

My Bachmann Jinty has started acting up.

When I apply power (no matter how much) the motor makes a scratching sound and moves incredibly slowly — same in forward or reverse no matter what way the locomotive is turned (see video)

Eventually after a minute or two of this, it jerks to life and runs perfectly. However if you turn off the power, then turn it up again, the process starts all over.

I’ve removed the motor completely and applied power to it and it still does this, so obviously not an issue with gears, wheels or power from the track.

Any ideas?

Nothing to lose time! If you have a good worm puller, with the worm removed it is possible to straighten the can 'fingers' that retain the  brush assembly, and then to withdraw the entire armature, still correctly positioned in the brush assembly (this matters!) in order to inpect for some random crap within, or whatever else is the cause of the problem.

Only done this once, by strange coincidence on the motor from a Bach Jinty (same unit as in the 57xx) and the trouble with that proved to be a magnet not properly glued in place (fixed with Evostick and still a runner). Symptoms were nothing like yours, rattled in one direction, no go in the other.

Do tell if you find a resolution.

Thanks for the suggestions! I might have to invest in a gear puller to see if I can service this myself.

A new motor would seem the easiest, but Bachmann Spares shipping to the U.S. is £25.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange — I just rewired my small shunting layout and plopped the Jinty on just to see if I had power, and it started right up with none of the issues seen in the video. This is the first time it’s run normally from the start since October. I put it on my main layout and it ran fine there as well, merrily hauling a seven-coach rake at 35% power on my controller.

It seems for the moment that the issue has resolved itself.

On 20/04/2024 at 16:36, MattR said:

It seems for the moment that the issue has resolved itself.

Your choice, but my practise is to keep a log book for all the traction incidents of this sort. Just in case it recurs...

The rewiring of the shunting layout begs two questions:

Was the jinty the only loco used on this layout?

Was the jinty tried on the main layout after the problem was detected?

Timeline (Note: this is all analog — I don’t do DCC)

- Bought from Hatton’s in May 2003, described as “noisy, inconsistent runner”.

- When arrived, motor was cleaned with WD40 Contact Cleaner and relubed  with Labelle 108 oil and Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lube.

- Ran quietly and consistently until autumn 2023 when the symptoms started and persisted every single time I ran it. It has only ever run on my main layout until yesterday.

- Put it on my shunting layout yesterday and it started right up — no issues. Placed it back on my main layout it ran excellent there as well. 

- It was left on my main layout overnight and when I started it up this morning, it ran flawlessly again.

Motor cleaned with WD40Contact Cleaner?

I hope you didn't spray that into the innards of the motor - a surefire killer. Many years ago I tried that with an X04 and a different switch cleaner. Instantly better running, but it ruined the brushes.

(I know the X04 is an open motor, not a can, but it has the similar principles of build)).

(I also realise you stated 'switch cleaner'  for WD40, not the 'bodger's tool' of the normal WD40).