Works like magic pour super glue on cement and be amazed

I just watched  the YouTube video     "Works like magic pour super glue on cement and be amazed" and it looks like the old baking powder and superglue fix but much stronger.  Just wondered if anyone had tried it and if it a) worked or b) didn't work, c) exploded and  burned the house down or d) ruined a slightly damaged model.  As always interested to learn from others experiences.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I’m not sure what cement we are talking about here, balsa glue, the powder used to make builders mortar or mortar which has actually set. Also what is the purpose of this experiment, other than being amazed. A little more background would be helpful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I’m not sure what cement we are talking about here, balsa glue, the powder used to make builders mortar or mortar which has actually set. Also what is the purpose of this experiment, other than being amazed. A little more background would be helpful. 

Hi Hibelroad, 

If what what I think DCB is talking about it would be similar to using superglue and backing powder but stronger to build up and repair broken locos and wagons etc. You can use the superglue/baking powder method to repair and fill models as it sets solid and can be carved to the shape you want. For instance I used this method to repair the chipped top corners of several Hornby steel coal wagons. Sorry I cannot find the pictures of this repair. I built up the corners of the wagons with superglue and baking powder and let it cure for a couple of hours. I was then able to file them back to the correct shape. I think the pictures may be still be on this site somewhere. If the concrete and superglue is stronger that could come in very hand for bigger projects.

• Informative/Useful 1

The  YouTube clip is called,       "Works like magic pour super glue on cement and be amazed"  I can't make a link work but google the complete phrase.  It looks like ordinary  (Portland ?)  cement  used a filler  with super glue just like people use baking soda  but seems to be a lot stronger.       The guy  put cement and superglue around two steel (?) rods running parallel and when it set the rod bent instead of the  joint breaking.   He also mended a plastic chain guard or similar with a plasticine mould which he filled with the cement and superglue mix and it looked very robust.  in all about 9 different fixes in 8 minutes running  time. 

I just found another YouTube video comparing Superglue used with  4 different fillers,   Baking Soda,  Styrofoam , charcoal and Cement.    Baking Soda performed best on some tests and was worst on others..     Oh well, ...   But I don't have Baking Soda, Charcoal or Styrofoam but I do have a great big bag of cement...

• RMweb Gold

I note this comment below the video:

PLEASE NOTE: These repairs cannot be done with standard thick super glues that are available from local retailers. You will have to order watery-thin super glues from brands such as StarBond. And be extremely cautious using it, because the fumes are very toxic, and the glue itself is extremely caustic to your skin. Be advised to wear an apron and thin rubber gloves, and have active ventilation. This stuff is DANGEROUS, and I'm not exaggerating at all!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I'll try this as filler on my current all-third Triang clerestory Glyncorrwg miner's coach project, as there is a fair bit of filling to do.  The model is basically a cut'n'shut with a new cab at one end, so the join, the cab join, the roof joins, and the clip holes in the ends.  I need to provide new bogie pivot mounts for this coach to ensure that the replacement Staffod Road 3D print Dean 8'6" bogies enable the coach to ride at the correct height (Triang vehicles need modifying anyway because of the incorrect ride height), and a moulding of superglue/cement mix might be suitable for this job as well. 

Good post, DCB; I would never in a million years have thought of this on my own!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1