What's the best back to back measurements for Triang locos ?.

Hi all,

As some of you may know I have quite a few Triang engines in my collection. What I need to know is what is the best back to back wheel measurement for these engines to run on Peco code 100 track and points.

Edited by cypherman

• cypherman changed the title to What's the best back to back measurements for Triang locos ?.
  • RMweb Premium

It depends on what they are. Earlier stuff will never run satisfactorily due to the depth of flange. Later stuff tends to be ok with the odd awkward customer. The loco axles are self setting on the axle so you could only push them out a little if you get something climbing the check rails repeatedly. I seem to remember the curved points needed the check rails thickening up to stop stock getting split on the frog but that included modern stuff too. This was thirty odd years ago mind!

A lot of rolling stock (including tenders) have split floating wheels on each axle and so have an infinitely variable back to back!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SR71 said:

lot of rolling stock (including tenders) have split floating wheels on each axle and so have an infinitely variable back to back

A bit of fine fuse wire, wrapped around the split axle, keeps 'em steady!

• Thanks 1

I've used Peco 100 track, and all Triang era locos work satisfactorily through it, with a tweak to the B2B, usually wider. Never measured it, did it by eye with a small screwdriver behind the wheels to lever them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Thank you all for the advice. The reason I have asked is that quite a few of my Triang rebuilds have had their wheels taken off and new bushes fitted. Mainly the 3mt 2-6-2  tanks, M7s and Princesses shown below.. They ran fine on straight and curved track but ride quite a bit rough and derail over the points and I needed a guide to what was the best back to back size. They are all fitted with later wheel sets and not the huge original deep flanges Triang wheels. Hopefully I will get them running smoother over the points. I will try the Brush Type 2/ Class 31 wheel spacings first and see what happens.

Triang German prairie.jpg

3mt 1.jpg

DSC_1344.JPG

DSC_1343.JPG

DSC_1159.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

DSC_0892.JPG

DSC_1110.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3

I'm not keen on running 00 stock on H0 track and prefer Formoway* or Hornby Dublo. However, since all three are nominally to the same standard, and thus designed for a check gauge** of 15mm, I set all my wheels to this.

* Getting hard to find these days. Luckily I have stocks though they are getting thin.

** Back to back plus flange thickness. The B2B  is easy to set, but only applies to flanges of equal thickness. This varied through the Tri-ang era, but on adopting the Hornby name they adopted their track standards as well. Streamline was designed as a compromise to accept all the then current wheels which turned out to be more or less what Hornby Dublo had always been using. (B2B 14.2mm, Flange thickness 0.8mm).

I have always found that Tri-ang stock would run on Dublo track (even back in the fifties), though it would bump on crossings. Dublo (and others) filled these in so the stock runs on the flanges. Fine as long as the flanges are all the same depth!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1