Photos needed - London Road bridge, Ipswich

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

An appeal for assistance if anyone is able to help. I need photos of London Road railway bridge in Ipswich to aid in building an accurate model of it. I have some photos from Flickr but none are brilliant, in particular I have nothing that shows the down side wing wall on the London side of the bridge. Also any photos that show detail of the parts at the base of the three long arches, as to whether they are brick or concrete, and details of the pipe and its supports.

And an extra ask, does anyone have any photos of the signal box that used to stand on the Up side of the bridge that controlled the exit from the Yard and later became a shunters cabin, and the walkway from the road down to it please?

Can anyone help please?

Edited by Dagworth

Hi Andi.

Do you mean this signal box?

CBR 2-102

Photo off Flickr by Jamerail (Swindon 123 on RMweb). dated 7/2/84

I have found a photo of the box I took in November 1983, I can try to scan or photograph the print, and post it here if it is the right one.

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
Added date of photo.
  • Like 1

Hi Andi, I have photographed the print of the photo I took in November 1983, sorry there is some reflected light.

IMG_6848.JPG.7528f7b1fdf04732dacd487b307bc386.JPG

Ipswich Yard, 11/11/83.

I don't have any photos of London Road bridge, I assume it was the bridge I was standing on to take the photo?

I did take photos from the next bridge to the north, but much too far away see any detail of London Road bridge,

cheers  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Kevin, 

That is a really useful picture of the box, it shows exactly the layout of the steps as well which I was previously unsure of.

The bridge itself is not particularly easy to photograph, only really visible clearly from Gyppeswick Park with a telephoto lens.

Andi

• Thanks 1

That's the problem with the down side of London Road Bridge as well, as there was always an annoying chain-link fence on the ramp down into the park from London Road which stopped you taking photos looking that way - and nobody went around with small step-ladders like they do today back in the 70's/80's !

I checked through my photos and have nothing looking that way where you can see any details of the bridge.....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1