Fitting decoder to Hornby 08 shunter (R2417)

Jabee

I'm trying to fit a decoder and when you take off the body, there is very little space in there and I'm struggling to squeeze one in....Does any one have any hints or pictures of how they've managed this?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Gray69 said:

I removed the  8 pin connector and placed the hardwired decoder in the space left by the connector.

That was going to be my last resort. How on earth people get sound and stay alive in there without major surgery is beyond me!

I'm assuming you have an 8 pin version ? 

The later 21 pin version simply plugged straight in to the PCB above the worm drive .

There is room between front of motor and rear of grille but beware of the protruding motor shaft at the front which spins of course. 

Fashioning a plasticard shield between decoder and motor shaft would be a wise move .

When I did this a couple of years ago I had to refer to a YouTube video. I thought it was Charlie at Chadwick, but I cannot find that video now. I remember the presenter saying that they had to cut a little out of the cab, between the cab and loco body, to fit the decoder and it wouldn't be noticeable. This is what I ended up doing.

My google search for the elusive video came up with this alternativehttps://www.cvmrc.co.uk/fitting-dcc-decoders-in-08-shunters.html

This isn’t the Chadwick video I was looking for, as I had to fit an 8pin chip on a small wiring loom, but if you have a 21 pin loco, then this is the one for you. It’s also a lot easier.

I'm going to remove the socket and hard wire the decoder. Decoder is a Zimo MX600R....any recommendations for a suitable stay alive, small enough to fit in behind the front grill?