Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Claytons with Snowploughs

Bit of a long shot but I'm trying to find a possible identity for the Clayton closest to the camera in the photo below (posted with permission) as I want to model the train in question.

For some context, the photo was taken in 1966 at South Pelaw Junction on the Tyne Dock to Consett line in 1966.  The local shed, Gateshead, had a number of Claytons allocated to it at that time so I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that it is highly likely that the loco is one of Gateshead's allocation.

Problem is that, as is clear from the photo, the loco has snowploughs fitted and whilst a Google search returns photos of pretty much all of the Gateshead locos around the North East at the time, none of them show the ploughs fitted. 

The locos assigned to Gateshead at the time were D8588 - D8605 inclusive.

spacer.png

John

• Like 3

I have an undated image in my records of D8601 in GSYP livery, at Newcastle Central, fitted with snowploughs.....

For copyright reasons I am unwilling to post the image here.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

...D8591 was a Thornaby loco in early 1966 and is pictured with ploughs in the Modern Locomotives Illustrated title on the class.

This would be a safe loco to model given its allocation and plough bracket fittings around your chosen date. It could even be the one in your picture.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1