3mm scale wheels for TT:120

Since TT:120 is a new scale to British outline, it is not realistic to expect whatever you want to be available RTR . That isn't an objection to TT:120 - for decades it was true even in OO that only a core range was covered by RTR. To get a full range of authentic models for your layout you needed to build some things yourself. That is still true in OO9 and Gauge O 

There is a huge range of 3D printed loco bodies available from Lincoln Locos. But you need to motorise them. Scratchbuilding 12mm gauge chassis is not uncharted territory -m people have been doing it for over 60 years.

But where do you get the wheels?  

Well the 3mm Society's 12mm Intermediate Standard here is very close indeed to NEM 310  for 12mm gauge here . For practical purposes 3mm Intermediate Standard wheels can be treated as TT:120 wheels

The April edition of Mixed Traffic , the 3mm Society magazine, contains a paragraph on Wheels and Standards from the shop team, most of which is directly relevant:

Just a few notes on wheels and standards... The 3 main standards used in 3mm scale are: Triang, Intermediate (IS), and Fine...SQ [Self Quartering], AG [Alan Gibson] and KM wheels are to Intermediate Standard whilst Stapleton are Fine Standard . Just to complicate matters we now have "universal" wheels in 3 sizes which work with both IS and FS track.... The wheels currently available are listerd in the Society Products advertisement...

Yoiu will need to be a member of the 3mm Society to buy these

Since 1/120 scale is  smaller than 3mm scale (1/101) , a given diameter wheel will represent a larger prototype diameter in TT:120 than it did in 3mm. You might have to accept fewer spokes than your prototype had.

But wheels that can be used for TT:120 models can be sourced 

On 21/04/2024 at 21:12, britishcolumbian said:

That said, I suspect it'll be 3 mm Society to turn to for British steam locomotive drivers...

Depends on size and N Gauge (not 2mm FS) wheels or tyres are an alternative source for the smaller drive wheel diameters.

• Like 1

The Modmueller RP25 wheels are Code 64 although they actually describe them as 0.64mm wide instead of 0.064" (1.625mm) which would make them finescale tram wheels!.  

On 21/04/2024 at 21:11, britishcolumbian said:

Modmüller in Germany (https://www.muellerradsatz.de/c/tt-radsaetze) have TT wheelsets for NEM, BTTB, and NMRA RP-25 standards.

I have some muellerradsatz.de BTTB wheels. I haven't used them yet, but I'm planning to use for my BR mk2 coaches and I think they'll be fine. 

I've used Piko ICE3 wheels for my 313 EMU. I've taken mine from an ICE3, but muellerradsatz have ICE3 wheels too.

I've also picked up some 9mm diameter 009 wheelsets from

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/

The pins on these come up a bit long for my bogies... nothing a drill wouldn't fix.

Disclaimer: I have not had to worry about spokes, so I guess that makes sourcing them a little more forgiving.

N gauge metal rims on printed wheels have been suggested. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I haven't lined those axles up very well have I. But I hope that's useful.

I didn't have my glasses on and was more worried about them rolling away!

Edit: one more thing. I believe the mosskito 9.1 wheels have a deeper dish to accept etched/printed spokes.

Edited by Blefuscu

Used to be a Narrow Gauge modeler, got back into the hobby last year and found out about TT120.

Grabbed the calculator - 3'6" is close enough to N gauge, 2'6" is Z gauge. Got wheels n stuff from my previous N/Z modeling decades ago. But because there is almost nothing for TT120 Narrow Gauge Australian, I am learning to 3D resin print.  a few months in, already printed over 20 x 4 wheel wagon bodies. The next prints might even be usable.  2mm Scale guys have Loco drivers just the right size for Australian 2.5mm TT Steam Era/1/2 Locos. 2.5mm narrow gauge rolling is very close to 2mm standard gauge is size. One advantage is no long carriages going around sharp curves as Era 1/2 did not have long ones. Pic is Ashbury 1864 Covered Goods wagon, sort of semi scale from one old photo. Once I get my hands on the drawings it will be more scale.  Wheels are the main issue, they scale to 5mm, smaller than 2mm 3ft spoked wagons. Then there is thread width, normal N track or fine scale code 40? Kato N gauge track on T trak modules is a great solution for those who cannot have permanent layouts.  Never before has it been so easy to model prototypes you want to model. With 3D resin printing not much skill is needed. Hard to beat getting 12 wagon bodies for about $2 of resin.   If only I had a hobby metal 3D printer for the wheels.

Aclass.png