Eastern National Omnibus Company Headboard typeface

Can anyone help identify this bus headboard typeface?

It's an Eastern National Omnibus Company Bristol Lodekka, from the late 60's.

Cheers.

7.2.jpg

I take it you mean the destination blinds? I can't help with the typeface, but the are available as transfers from Fox. May not help with a specofoc destination, but you might be able to make something up from what they do. (I have the same problem for ECOC).

• RMweb Premium

This is an early 1970's Bristol Omnibus Company blind from my small collection, rather than an Eastern National Omnibus Company one, but it shows how much the typeface, and the spacing, varies depending on the length of the destination.

DSCN3659.JPG.0c3212883a5761035d0d6cdcd2a8fd42.JPG

I doubt that helps answer the original question though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looks like there was some variety in fonts, depending on the available space. For example the letter  C  in Calne is quite different than in Chippenham.

The example below is in the font    Hurley 1967 Sans

- a  .ttf  font can be downloaded from the web.

It somewhat approximates what you want.

Image8.jpg.0c139e5d142584257646b560070210dd.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Its because none of it is a typeface. Its drawn lettering by a bloke with a drawing board, so it will be whatever he draws that day...

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Blinds were traditionally either sign written or screen printed, often with a template for each destination and in the case of the blind shown above, the destination was drawn to match the aperture of the destination display.

In an era of electronic displays being the norm on buses, blinds are still available from one or two suppliers who can support the needs of preserved vehicle owners. https://www.mckennabrothers.co.uk

• Informative/Useful 1