Maunsell Coaches - How do you remove the bogies ?

Its probably on here somewhere, but I cant find it.

I need to remove the bogies from a couple of Hornby Maunsell coaches to sort out a coupling mechanism that's jamming.

How do I do it ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

Its probably on here somewhere, but I cant find it.

I need to remove the bogies from a couple of Hornby Maunsell coaches to sort out a coupling mechanism that's jamming.

How do I do it ?

Happened to me a few times as well. You just slide a wide flat-bladed screwdriver under the bogie from the inner end, and then while holding your breath lever it up until it pops out. It's just a clip fit to put it back. 

• RMweb Gold

Not broken anything yet, but I do worry when using brute force in this way. I suspect you might be able to drop it out more easily from inside, but that would mean prising the body off which is another experience I try to avoid.

So much easier with the Bachmann coaches where the bogies unscrew.

If you do want to take the body off, these are like other modern Hornby coaches.

Turn the coach over and place on a soft surface. In each corner of the underframe you'll see a transparent piece of plastic, which needs to be pushed outwards towards the coach side, and this will release the chassis in that area. Repeat on each corner. IIRC there's some body lugs in the centre of the coach side so slide a cocktail stick between chassis and coach side to release these.

The securing lugs on the bogies can now be seen clearly above the holder moulding on the inside of the chassis, squeeze these together and the bogies relase.

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Many thanks for this, and as it happens I have got a Maunsell coach that I need to get the body off.  The 2 coaches I had  with a jamming coupling mechanism I managed to fix by pushing and wiggling it and on both it freed itself Ok and I've been running them for over an hour without any more problem.

However I've got a coach that I took into Hornby (I live only about 2 miles away) with misted up windows and they took it in to replace them.  They posted it back and when I looked at the coach I realised the gentleman who did the work had put the interior back in the wrong way round.  The corridor side was against the compartment side windows.  In his note sent back with it he said he was glad he didnt have that to do often,  it wasnt the getting it apart but he had a 'h..l of a job' getting the old windows off to replace them, so I wasnt surprised he had a bit of a 'c..k up' there, and thought that well I'm sure I can sort that out.  So I was going to ask about how do I get the coach apart because its not obvious. 

All this happened a few years ago, but its just come to a head now because Ive moved house to get a bigger railway room, and Ive just finished with building the extra baseboards, track laying and wiring and fitting all the point motors in the station area (not the fiddle yard though yet, the point motors that is).  So I've been unpacking all the stock and test running it and have just come to this.

The gentleman who repaired it is unfortunately no longer with us they tell me.   And I don't mean he just left/retired or was sacked. 

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/04/2024 at 16:15, John Tomlinson said:

If you do want to take the body off, these are like other modern Hornby coaches.

Turn the coach over and place on a soft surface. In each corner of the underframe you'll see a transparent piece of plastic, which needs to be pushed outwards towards the coach side, and this will release the chassis in that area. Repeat on each corner. IIRC there's some body lugs in the centre of the coach side so slide a cocktail stick between chassis and coach side to release these.

The securing lugs on the bogies can now be seen clearly above the holder moulding on the inside of the chassis, squeeze these together and the bogies relase.

John.

Many thanks for this advice, I've done it now and your instructions worked perfectly, in fact very easy and quick.  It was one of those jobs that in the past I'd been dreading because I'd always got the impression that it was a nightmare to do. Not so.

Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

Many thanks for this advice, I've done it now and your instructions worked perfectly, in fact very easy and quick.  It was one of those jobs that in the past I'd been dreading because I'd always got the impression that it was a nightmare to do. Not so.

Peter.

I'm glad this has worked!

The Hawksworths and the new Pullmans are all assembled in the same way, and I suspect other modern Hornby coaches are too.

John.