New slotted post signal kits from Japan?

I have just come across these kits, HO scale models of Early Japanese signals, very similar to our own very early slotted post "Station signals" of around the 1850s.  The arms even point the right way because Japan has left hand running, perhaps thanks to British involvement in their first lines.  Could certainly pass for British, with their operating lever at the base of the post, spectacle plates half way up the post and a lamp hoist. 

Can be pre-ordered, for release next month, so it's only to be expected that there no reviews as yet, and there's also a limit of 12 per household.

The price is worryingly cheap at less than £8 for the double arm style or about £6 for the single arm version.  It probably costs more in P&P!  What's the catch?  The material is described as "paper", which doesn't sound strong enough to stand upright even protected in a glass display case.  I don't know if that's possibly an iffy translation for cardboard?  Even if that's the case it still sounds too weak.  Perhaps they might be strong enough for a static diorama though, or  they might conceivably be of some use as an aid to building something stronger.

I've only ever ordered one item from Hobbysearch, and that took 3 months to come, probably fair enough as it was at surface mail rates.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11082899

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11082896

11082899b2.jpgBroomhill_railway_station_and_signals.jp

Broomhill_railway_station_and_signals.jpg

Edited by Michael Hodgson
delete duplicated image
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Further down the description it says

”- Assembly instructions
- Parts Sheet
- 3D printed parts

*We take great care in our manufacturing, but there may be some areas that are not laser cut properly. In that case, please make a cut with a utility knife or similar to fix it.

( This is a machine translation. Please allow for possible misinterpretations in the text. )”

So I’m guessed you’re right that “paper” is a mistranslation for “card”. Sound like they’re laser-cut card plus 3D printed details. Laser-cut card can be quite robust.

I’m also intrigued that the other illustration on the listing shows a single-arm version that looks hugely suitable for a British layout.

RichardT

• Thanks 1