Yard / shunting design help

EasternO

I'd like to build a few 7mm scale wagons and a couple steam 0-6-0 locos. I'm not looking for a traditional scenic layout, just something to test the models and play shunting, assembling/disassembling trains, etc.

I've designed the following but it doesn't look very inspiring to me. I don't mind the straight lines but I would like something interesting to look at and to play on. I'm happy to lose the turntable as I don't think it really adds anything on this particular design.

This will run around two walls of a spare bedroom so is restricted in width of approx 40cm.

I'd like suggestions to improve this, or maybe a completely different design please. I'll be building the track myself so I'm not limited to anything off the shelf. This current design has all radii set at 150cm. I don't really want to go below this.

layout.png

At the moment, a train can depart from the storage lines (bottom right) and arrive on any line in the yard/ They can then be shunted or disassembled onto any other line to make a new train to take into storage. The storage lines are a bit longer than shown here.

I like it , it has the feel of a dockside branch, loose the turntable and have two sidings in its space for loco storage/inspection/coaling.

Operation along the lines Nick has outlined wagons arrive, are placed for unloading, some more urgent than others , then marshalled to depart, some sticking around in the yard awaiting incoming loads.

• Like 1

I agree. You don’t need the turntable .

Also why does the line to the staging yard appear to cross the turntable roads on the level. Seems an unlikely arrangement to me and unnecessarily complicated. Can the running track leave from the r/h track and avoid the crossings. You could still retain the turntable if you wish . 

• Like 1

Thank you all for confirming my doubts. I didn't fancy cutting out the hole and finding a mechanism for the turntable. so that a headache gone. I've included a way to cross from tracks B & C (see X) other than the main line in/out to give a bit more flexibility. Again, I'm not sure I need this but it felt right to me.

I've included the baseboards on this picture so you can see my width restrictions.

layout v2.png

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, dave75 said:

I like it , it has the feel of a dockside branch, loose the turntable and have two sidings in its space for loco storage/inspection/coaling.

Model the fiddle yard as the inner end of a set of exchange sidings and you have the full branch, with the added bonus of shunting at both ends.