Dapol GWR cattle wagon.

RCP

I’m looking for more details on the new Dapol cattle wagon. In short Is this a new design and is this a plausible model? Got an email from rails of Sheffield and need a couple but want to get it right first time.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/cattle-wagon-gwr-13827?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=Dapol June 2024 UK Produced Wagon Announcements&utm_id=01HW2M650STWH6AZKHG26VSNA4&_kx=j4x0pTACMVTgjQ5FrRxHF2ZqrbIv4cJ1KuAvSHixkh7daefIttArah6I30qtzgjP.RXkVMS

• RMweb Gold

I believe it is in fact basically the old Hornby Dublo model which Dapol inherited from Wrenn, though they have retooled the chassis and fitted better buffers in the meantime.  Rails’ announcement is about a new production run; the use of the word ‘new’ by the marketing departments of some companies is not always as transparent as it could be… this is not in any sense a new model, and is really over 60 years old…

Roof profile and wheelbase are visibly and obviously wrong, as they are on the Ale van that Dapol have developed from this model.   Personally, I’d avoid it, but it will be fine for many customers less concerned with accuracy than me!

TTBOMK the only accurate 4mm RTR cattle van is the Hornby Southern Railway model.  The Oxford LNER cattle van is accurate except for the sides, which are mirror-image but should be handed, or the other way around, I forget which now but you only see one side at a time.  Both of Bachmanns’ fall into the generic chassis trap. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I believe it is in fact basically the old Hornby Dublo model which Dapol inherited from Wrenn, though they have retooled the chassis and fitted better buffers in the meantime.  Rails’ announcement is about a new production run; the use of the word ‘new’ by the marketing departments of some companies is not always as transparent as it could be… this is not in any sense a new model, and is really over 60 years old…

Roof profile and wheelbase are visibly and obviously wrong, as they are on the Ale van that Dapol have developed from this model.   Personally, I’d avoid it, but it will be fine for many customers less concerned with accuracy than me!

TTBOMK the only accurate 4mm RTR cattle van is the Hornby Southern Railway model.  The Oxford LNER cattle van is accurate except for the sides, which are mirror-image but should be handed, or the other way around, I forget which now but you only see one side at a time.  Both of Bachmanns’ fall into the generic chassis trap. 

Looks like I’m waiting for a coopercraft kit to come back into production and/or rapido to take up the challenge. 

Fingers crossed eBay gods are kind.

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Oxford version should be handed . Easy enough to correct with some micro strip , they were very cheap when released, and I have a few corrected. Like a lot of Oxford products they are now going up in price on ebay.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

TTBOMK the only accurate 4mm RTR cattle van is the Hornby Southern Railway model.

1 hour ago, RCP said:

Looks like I’m waiting for a coopercraft kit to come back into production and/or rapido to take up the challenge.

I don't think Johnster was saying anything about kits (see the bold I've added above) so there may be other accurate options if you are also interested in kits. For example, I think Peco/Ratio/Parkside have some 4mm scale cattle wagon kits, though not sure on accuracy or whether they offer a GWR one (other than the larger 'Beetle' type for prize cattle).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

And there’s the old Airfix, now Dapol Kitmaster, plastic construction kit, which IIRC is dimensionally pretty good.  This needs a bit of working up; the door/ramp hinges are horribly crude and there’s a lot of moulded detail, but has the advantage that said doors can be posed open of you wanted to make it up as a siding lurker in a cattle dock. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

I think Peco/Ratio/Parkside have some 4mm scale cattle wagon kits, though not sure on accuracy or whether they offer a GWR one (other than the larger 'Beetle' type for prize cattle).

Parkside do both LMS unfitted and LNER VB cattle wagons, which are to their usual standard. They may not have done a GW one because of the existence of the Coopercraft version. The Airfix BR version can be altered to a GW version IIRC, but I don't remember the details.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

IMHO there is little merit in tutting over the details of the various RTR offerings when no-one , as far as I know, produces one in a credible "in use" livery. Pristine cattle wagons on the real railway were very rare, one trip, and they were "weathered" by their occupants!!

This does of course mean that a multitude of sins can be covered up by weathering but not wrong wheelbases or roof profiles! 

Various GWR versions are covered by articles in Model Railway Journal numbers 24 and 25, with some follow up letters on the subject in 26. Many years ago I tried to understand the subsequent BR versions and was surprised to discover some slight variations between building lots let alone diagrams numbers.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2024 at 18:32, Tallpaul69 said:

IMHO there is little merit in tutting over the details of the various RTR offerings when no-one , as far as I know, produces one in a credible "in use" livery. Pristine cattle wagons on the real railway were very rare, one trip, and they were "weathered" by their occupants!!

This does of course mean that a multitude of sins can be covered up by weathering but not wrong wheelbases or roof profiles! 

Pristine anything on the railway lasted less than the first trip, especially when it was raining, and it was imperative that cattle vans where hosed out and disinfected after use, so occupant weathering was kept to a minimum, not that you wanted to be downwind on a hot day, but they were not allowed to get dirty.  Cattle were expensive and their health needed looking after.  In pre-WW1 days the vans were disinfected with lime, which stained the lower parts white, very prominent in period photos, but the practice was stopped because the lime irritated the beasts’ feet.  

A normal wash of general dirt should suffice for weathering, with perhaps some fibres teased out of string protruding from the drainage slats in the lower portions of the sides and ends representing straw, especially if there are occupants. 

On 27/04/2024 at 18:32, Tallpaul69 said:

IMHO there is little merit in tutting over the details of the various RTR offerings when no-one , as far as I know, produces one in a credible "in use" livery. ...

But - notwithstanding The Johnster's comments - would you really want a long rake of factory-sh*tted cattle wagons with exactly the same splats on each one ............. arguably less noticeable than a rake of modern wagons all with the same graffiti sh*t - but ........

( On the subject of cattle wagons, isn't it time the trade came up with cattle in the same scale ? ..... yes I'm sure there are white metal beasts available - but a few wagon loads end up VERY heavy.)

• Agree 1