7mm 8x4 concrete mixer with Micron 601 receiver

Giles

I should say that this is the first time I've used one of Micron's new 601 Receivers. My initial opinion on them is that they are very good - probably better than the Deltang ones.... (early days, I know....). It bound first time, I think has much the same programmable features as the Deltang - although a different range of PWM frequencies - but importantly, has some more, very useful built-in features, such as servo reverse, variable servo speeds and rotation, and variable ESC acceleration and de-acceleration rates, which up till now I've only been able to get on expensive transmitters.

These are very sophisticated Receivers, and although bigger than the Deltang, are very welcome indeed.

The model itself is a genuine 8x4, with both rear axles driven via opposed bevel gears and intermediate drive shaft. Power being a little N20 gearmotor.

Steering was modified to give the correct full steer to leading axle and partial steer to 2nd axle with the servo mounted in between. 

The 1800mAh battery is mounted inside the revolving drum, in a static cradle which also houses the drum rotation motor.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3

The variable ESC acceleration implementation is better than the Deltang version because it has seperate settings for braking,not important for me as I don't use the Tx inertia knob either.

I notice the M601 does not have the 3rd Selecta option allowing change to a different Tx controlling that locomotive. I think it was used for passing locos between operators on a big layout. By following the correct setup procedure you could have a TRUE consist, I think only one per Tx . I tried it and it worked. For example I had 2 speed matched locos on selecta 4 and 5 and position 6  controlled them both. The locos could operate independently or combined. I did not use it much and decided that having a 12 loco Tx capacity was better.

I have bought 2 Micron M601 receivers, both of which are still in the testing stage and a M603 receiver used to control a tiny locomotive via track power. Micron confirmed the M603 has short circuit protection on the motor output so the Rx won't fry when you short out the rails!. I must get round to providing a description of why and how I did it.

• Informative/Useful 1

Nice work Giles. Putting the battery inside the drum is a nice touch

Yes the mr601 looks very good, with some interesting improvements. My first one is sat on the bench next to the new project it's destined for, whilst I ponder options on where to mount it.

In 4mm it is Ok to fit in a lorry cab or between the frames of a flat bed. But I had planned to put a deltang Infront of the servo and between the wheels in the cab area which was neater than the options now available. 

It will be much more of a struggle to build vans, although possible. 

But the Hillman Imp I had planned is going to need something different.

Hopefully by the time I get to that Micron,  mikromodelbau or solexpert will have developed a replacement for the rx45 that fits in the same footprint.

It looks as though there is actually plenty of space in the mr601 to shrink it, if they sacrificed the higher voltage / current capabilities that drive some of the chunky components and possibly increase the number of PCB layers. But I quite understand why Micron prioritised their specs they way they have. It looks much better suited to the locomotive applications.

The thing I miss at the moment, is the Rx43 equivalent - I.e. the multiple ESC capability, as cranes need 4 ESCs and and a servo (if they're road cranes). Fortunately, I have a couple, but there's no real substitute...... fingers crossed!

Incidentally,  it seems like the brake lights are a +ve feed on the 601, whereas they were a -very feed on the Rx41 etc..

This truch is actually an 8x4, with both rear axles driven. I've done this (the same way) in 4mm as well, using Mod 0.3 bevel gears. This truck has nylon Mod 1 bevel gears - which were much cheaper!!! Because the N20 gearbox is so efficient, and the bevel gear are also extremely efficient, it is possible to power this very heavy die-cast lorry with this extremely small motor.

The twin axle steering on the 8x4 is also proportional,  like the real thing. This is quite simply achieved....

Giles, Do you build a 4mm version of everything you make in 7mm these days?

To your earlier comment, I agree, the absence of a replacement for the Rx43 is a big concern. In theory you can do some of the job with add on boards, but nothing as compact or capable.