Decking for steel girder bridge

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Some of you will have seen my layout thread where I am building a steel double track girder Bridge

As you will see, the structure is complete. I also have longitudinal girders which I have made but not in the photos.

20240427_092958.jpg.801df4a11681d204189a825507dd8ff0.jpg

I am not sure how best to do the decking. 

The track is laid on waybeams.

In order to keep smooth flowing track, i plan to install the bridge, then add the track afterwards so that i get the nice, sweeping gentle curve I need. If i lay track on each bridge section first then it would be difficult to get the smooth curve i want.

I seem to have two options

1. The easiest.  Lay an overall plasticard deck then lay the track on top of the planking. I can then turn the structure upside down and glue the longitudal girders to the plasticard.

20240427_093036.jpg.29dd91e30eac01a0e1296134a7727c99.jpg

As I said, this much the easiest way, but.. Is it prototypical?  I have looked at loads of pics of waybeam bridges, and they all seem to be different. I have found a few when it looks as if the decking is under the waybeams.

2.  Second option is to lay the waybeams directly onto the cross girders, then glue the longitudinal girders under each waybeam. Then I can cut planking to go either side of the tracks. I suspect (though I don't know) that this is more prototypical but will be harder to accomplish. I. Also don't know what then happens in the four foot. Do I lay planking on top of the transoms?

I really don't know the best way to do this, any comments gratefully received!

Edited by ikcdab

Hi,

I'm just doing a bridge deck using baulks (I assume your waybeams) with longitudinal beams under the alignment of the rails with a deck in-between.

You might find this link interesting as it shows waybeams and the transoms in detail:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64f098e0a78c5f0010c6f3a0/R122020_201116_Wanstead_Park.pdf

Whilst my bridge is nowhere as sophisticated as yours (I doff my hat your way) perhaps you'd like to see my construction method from about page 40 onwards:

Cheers,

Philip

I forgot to add that you can have a clear look at the underside of the bridge via Google StreetView.

Edited by Philou
Added info

My bridge is similar, but supported by plate girders, the deck is open with just the area between the rails filled in, there is a walkway either side, the main structural baulks supporting the rails would be first, then the decking is just an infill, I walk under this bridge each time I go shopping.

IMG_0639 (2)a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Philou said:

Hi,

I'm just doing a bridge deck using baulks (I assume your waybeams) with longitudinal beams under the alignment of the rails with a deck in-between.

You might find this link interesting as it shows waybeams and the transoms in detail:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64f098e0a78c5f0010c6f3a0/R122020_201116_Wanstead_Park.pdf

Whilst my bridge is nowhere as sophisticated as yours (I doff my hat your way) perhaps you'd like to see my construction method from about page 40 onwards:

Cheers,

Philip

I forgot to add that you can have a clear look at the underside of the bridge via Google StreetView.

Hi Philip, thank you thats very helpful.

I am so tempted just to stick down sheets of scribed plasticard and put the track on top and your link shows me that this is an acceptable approach!

Once the track is down i might add some extra walkways either side of the track, we will see.

Thanks again

Ian

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, fulton said:

My bridge is similar, but supported by plate girders, the deck is open with just the area between the rails filled in, there is a walkway either side, the main structural baulks supporting the rails would be first, then the decking is just an infill, I walk under this bridge each time I go shopping.

IMG_0639 (2)a.JPG

Looks really good. My issue would be intalling the infill in the four foot as i have 3d printed complete track bases. I suppose I could add planking on top of the transoms.

Where is the prototype?

Ian

7 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Looks really good. My issue would be intalling the infill in the four foot as i have 3d printed complete track bases. I suppose I could add planking on top of the transoms.

Where is the prototype?

Ian

I have timber transoms between the main baulks, (if these are the correct terms) with the decking on them, I've represented metal sheeting in the four foot, against fire, was very noticeable on the pier at Port Victoria, Kent, this is the Janes' Creek viaduct over Janes' Creek off the River Medway, Strood, Kent, on the Medway Valley Line. Your baulk and transom mouldings/prints look very good, mine are timber with chairs glued on. 

JC 1.jpg